Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A late convert to Croke Park

This week's Independent News & Media Irish regional newspapers' column.

Michael Commane
I have been asking people to guess where I was on Sunday afternoon, August 13.

Sounds a silly thing to do but it's all been a bit of fun.

I was in Croke Park at the All-Ireland hurling semi-final between Waterford and Cork.

It was my second time in Croker since the stadium was redeveloped. As a child I can remember going there on a number of occasions. My uncle, John D Hickey covered GAA for the 'Irish Independent' so I have vague memories of playing under the seats in the press box. I must have been very young.

I went to the hurling game with a Dominican friend, who knows the game inside out. His parents were from West Cork and his loyalties are with the Rebels. From my ignorance of both hurling and football I am forever amazed with Donal's knowledge of the game. I felt sort of misplaced sitting beside him on the Hogan Stand, he an expert and I a 'plonker'.

He explained to me how Waterford were using a sweeper to great advantage but that system would only work if Waterford were in the lead. I half-understood what he was saying and at the time it made sense to me. But please don't ask me to explain it to you or write down how it works.

At half-time Waterford were one point in the lead but Donal felt quite confident about Cork's chances of victory. The first few minutes of the second half Cork were on top of their game. Donal gave me a nudge, quietly confident that it was going to be Cork's day.

Once Damien Cahalane was red-carded Donal began to get worried and also realised that Waterford's sweeper system would make victory nearly impossible for Cork.

I watched every puck of the ball during a thrilling 70 minutes. I too was disappointed that Cork were beaten. Loyalty is a funny thing. I spent five years living in Cork and I got to love the city and its people. I had some great fun on Leeside. Indeed, while I was at UCC Cork hurlers won the All-Ireland three times in a row. I can still remember the buzz that was about in the county. Great times. Poor Cork, they are having a bad run but this team has many new young players. The future is looking good.

Really so funny, here I am, commenting on the Cork hurling team and I know nothing about the game. See, what one visit to Croke Park can do.

It was such a laugh listening to the comments of those sitting in my vicinity. At one stage a Cork supporter felt, and passionately so, that a Cork player had been fouled but did not get a free, so he shouts out advising, indeed, commanding, the referee to get a whistle. The man beside me was a Waterford supporter, who was listening to the game on his radio. At one stage the radio aerial nearly went up my nose. It reminded me of a scene from 'Only Fools and Horses'.

And then leaving the stadium and walking down Jones's Road, mingling with Cork and Waterford supporters. All good fun and not a hint of nastiness or ill-humour between the waring sides.

I can't believe how I got caught up in all the action. It was a magic afternoon. Later it dawned on me how watching the game completely dominated all my thoughts and not for a second was I thinking or worrying about so many of the thoughts that swirl around in my head.

It comes highly recommended.

2 comments:

DeirdreD said...

Beautiful piece. Had me chuckling more than once. The GAA journalists better watch their jobs :-) Up the Déise.

Michael Commane said...

Thank you and you might even persuade me to shout for the Deise on the day.

Featured Post

A personal request

I would be grateful if Sean, who made a comment on this blog about the late Paddy Cullen, contact me. Is it possible to have your email addr...