Saturday, June 25, 2016

'Raymie' Collins OP RIP

Dominican priest Raymond Collins died on Tuesday in Daisy Hill Hospital, Newry.

Fr Raymond, known among Dominicans as Raymie, was assigned to the Dominican Priory in Waterford. He was born in Newry where he had family and many friends. Late last year he was diagnosed with a brain tumour.

He was a kindly man with a genuine interest in people. A great mimic, which he could use perfectly to let people know what he thought of those he was mimicking. He was the sort of person you would seek out in a crowded room because you knew he would always make you feel at ease, even important. He had  a special ability to engage with people and he did it in his own style.

Raymie was prior in a number of Dominican communities. People would say that his priorship at San Clemente in Rome brought a sense of kindness to the community. He always saw the funny side to things and never took things too seriously.

He spent a number of years working in Argentina.

Raymond was a boarder at Newbridge College. Three of his class at Newbridge, the late Paudge Duggan, the late Jim Harris and Larry Collins joined the Dominicans. They stayed close friends over the years, especially Jim and Raymond.

Fr Raymond was born in 1939. He was ordained a priest in 1964. Raymie was a kind man.

He was buried today Saturday in the grounds of the Dominican Priory in Newry after Requiem Mass in The  Dominican church in the town. Fr Larry Collins preached the sermon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I never cease to be amazed at the span of the internet. In doing a search for one thing, your blog popped up. As I read about Raymie Collins, I smiled when I read the name Paudge Duggan. He was known to many by many names: Padraig, Paudge, Fr. Padraic but to me he was simply Uncle. My siblings have great memories of Uncle, Raymie Collins and Jim Harris at our house. I remember the day my mum called me to tell me Raymie Collins has died. You may never see this but thought I’d post anyway.
Fionnuala San Juan
Niece of Fr. Padraic Duggan aka Uncle 😁

Michael Commane said...

Thank you for your comment. Paudge was a lovely man, a good man.
I taught a Shane O'Niell. Isn't he a nephew of Paudge? Wondering where he is now? If you see this you might let me know.
Michael Commane.

Emil Wilkowski said...

I am lucky man who used to see fr Raymond almost on a daily basis on O'Connell Street in Waterford from 2008 until early 2016. I remember him when he kept asking for a lift to hospital or nursery homes where he prayed, uplifted the sick and used to bring the Holy Eucharist and the sacrament of the Anointing of the sick. It was an honour to have such a passenger. You would never see him without his Dominican habit not like nowadays priests or Dominicans. He was also so kind he even baptized my son in old Roman Rite in 2011 at St. Saviour's Church in Waterford, when my parish in New Ross cancelled the sacrament due to parish festival few days before. He agreed without a blink of his eye. Since then I started my research with documents, sv2 and novus ordo and nowadays we attend only to Holy Mass in Roman Rite and belong to Catholic Tradition. Today on Nov the 1st 2020 All Saints' Feast Sunday we went for the Holy Mass (Roman Rite) at St Mary's Chapel in Newry. We hoped to see fr Raymond Collins grave after on the cementary surrounding the chapel. We didn't know he was buried at St. Catherine Priory though. To me he was a holy man, great inspiration, brave and devoted to God and people. RIP Father Raymond, we all miss you and hope to see with you again at the presence of our Lord and His Holy Mother.

Featured Post

It is spring again

  “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” ―  Rainer Maria Rilke