Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Iarnród Éireann stays on track with mph

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regionals newspapers’ column.

Michael Commane

I was all set to travel from Dublin to Kerry after work on Thursday for two appointments the following day. 


But it was bucketing out of the heavens, I was coughing and feeling miserable so decided to leave it to Friday morning and take 07.00 train. I broke all my usual habits and booked a taxi for 06.15. Even with my eircode the driver had difficulty finding my house but no hassle, I arrived at Heuston with plenty of time to spare, dry too,  and far earlier than my usual practice.


It was a quiet Heuston. As I headed for the barrier I saw two Irish Rail staff walking towards the shop and guess what, they were walking arm-in-arm. It was such a lovely sight. I recognised the man from my regular visits to the station but I’d never spotted the woman before. 


The two of them were delightfully chatting away with a spring in their step. It was a moment of magic. I would love to have commended them but decided to say nothing. It was clear to see the two of them were in good spirits, indeed enjoying the start to their day.  I said it to a friend but he felt I should not mention it. Why not? It was lovely to see.


It’s 7am, no sign of departure, the doors are still open and then an announcement, apologising about our delay. The train nerd that I am I discover there is a brake problem. I’m a little anxious as my first appointment in Tralee is for midday. 


I get talking to a mechanical fitter on the platform who explains to me there’s a brake problem with a wheel but it would be sorted asap. We get chatting. 


He tells me he’s from India and of course his face lights up when I mention something about Indian railways to him. But he’s called away to chat with the loco driver. Fourteen minutes late, doors close and off we go out into the lights of Inchicore, Clondalkin, Adamstown and then into the dark countryside of Sallins and Newbridge. It’s a dark wet morning. 


After a short snooze I wake up as the train departs Portlaoise and daylight is edging its way across the country. We continue to run 14/15 minutes late, travelling for most of the journey at 160 km/h. Irish Rail has not changed over to kilometres and continues to measure everything in miles. The track is marked every quarter mile with mile-posts and not kilometre posts.


The 14/15 minute delay loses its meaning in Mallow, where there is usually an 18 minute wait for the Cork Tralee connection. Our delay in Heuston means a much shorter wait in Mallow.


The scenery changes as we move into north Cork.

Irish Rail is currently constructing a new pedestrian bridge with lift at Banteer station. Signs of hope and an increase in passenger numbers.


It’s still misty, but off in the distance there’s a glimmer of blue.


From Rathmore on, it’s Kerry all the way to

Tralee where we arrive at 13.04, six minutes late.


Almost perfect and certainly good enough for me. Blue skies in Tralee on arrival. And in plenty of time for my midday appointment. Thank you Irish Rail.

No comments:

Featured Post

Trying to paint a vision for the future of the Irish Dominicans

The link below is to a talk given by Fr Stephen Cummins in the Dominican Priory church in Galway last week. It was part of a series of talks...