Tuesday, February 27, 2024

All your bets are off in posh bookmakers’ shops

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regionals newspapers’ column.

Michael Commane

Have you ever been inside a bookmaker’s shop? I have on a number of occasions of late and I have been surprised with what I have seen. 


Before my current visits to the shop my last time would have been fadó fadó. Back then they were dingy places, people smoking, maybe sawdust on the floor and an all-round offending smell. For the non-gambler like me at the time they were not a nice place to be.


No, I have not taken to gambling. I’ve been visiting this particular betting shop while I wait for my bus. 

The bus stop is across the road from the shop. I’m wondering how long it will be before they realise I’m not a betting man and throw me out.


It’s a great place to wait, especially if it is raining. There are lovely soft seats and always a day’s newspaper at hand and indeed, some bookie shops offer free coffee.


The shop I visit has panels of screens showing racing and football games all over the world .You can gamble on anything. I saw one ad offering money back if your team is at any stage two goals up.


I have never been in the shop on my own, there is always someone there and I have never seen a woman betting in the shop. 


On one occasion I was there I counted 10 men fully focused on the job at hand. Silence reigned, as did a great sense of seriousness. There was a newspaper on a table beside a man. He was not reading it but I was scared to ask him if I could have it. And once a bet was won or lost, it was on to the next bet.


Over the last few weeks I have heard on radio and television a number of people speak, about their gambling addiction. 


The gambling problem in Ireland is said to be far worse than feared. Addicts are spending over €1,000 a month on gambling and one in 30 adults have a problem with gambling.


We spend €5.5 billion on gambling in Ireland every year, and half of that sum is spent by people who experience ‘multiple negative effects’ from betting. 


Approximately 12 per cent of Irish adults bet weekly with a bookmaker.


More than 40 per cent of us regularly play the National Lottery. I seldom do it but when I do I’m inclined to do it again the following week. The same goes with the Lotto scratch cards. If I buy one and win €4, I’m inclined to gamble again. I often wonder how close I am to becoming an addict. But so far Alleluia, it hasn’t happened. When Francis was elected pope I put a fiver on Cardinal Mauro Piacenza. Maybe fortunately, for more reasons than one, I lost my bet.


And then there’s the phone. I’ve seen people on trains gambling on their mobiles. And it’s so easy to set up an account and off you go. I wonder do phone gamblers realise that a mere five per cent of phone gamblers come out winning. Gambling is a mug’s game and can be a human disaster.


A number to call if you want to rid yourself of the addiction is 1800 936 725. Good luck and don’t be afraid to seek help. Good luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please, no Alleluia during Lent! Did you not learn that in the seminary?

Featured Post

Trying to paint a vision for the future of the Irish Dominicans

The link below is to a talk given by Fr Stephen Cummins in the Dominican Priory church in Galway last week. It was part of a series of talks...