This week's column in The Kerryman newspaper.
Michael Commane
Conor, who is now in his 50s, told me a funny story about how one day sometime around 4pm he received a cold call from a bank. On introducing herself and explaining why she was calling, Conor explained he was busy at the time and asked for her home number,
so he would call her back later that evening.
Fadó fadó I taught Conor. In all the years since, he has not lost his sense of humour and ability at being funny, indeed, to the extent of annoying people. No doubt he annoyed the woman from the bank that day.
Well-done Conor; we are all sick and tired with receiving unwanted calls at all hours of the day and night.
The corollary of that is how difficult it can be to make a simple phone call to an organisation when looking for information. Have you noticed how difficult it has become to discover the phone number of a company or organisation; how often have I scrolled down a website looking for a phone number, never to have any success.
In a 10-day period this month I have had two infuriating and frustrating experiences trying to get through to a number. On one occasion, attempting to phone a newspaper, not this one, I was left over 12 minutes before the line went dead. I tried again in the afternoon to be told the phone was currently unattended.
During my time working at The Kerryman I found it simple and easy to get through to government departments. And the people at the other end were always helpful and polite. I left The Kerryman in 2005 and it seems the world has greatly changed since then.
I have on several occasions in recent days attempted to call the Department of Education concerning a matter dealing with my current salary and pension.
It has been a nightmare. After being flipped through a number of hoops I was given a specific number to call. I called the number to be told it is open between the hours of 2.30pm and 5.30pm. I had called outside those hours, fair enough, I’ll try the next day.
There have been many ‘next days’ I call the number between 2.30pm and 5.30pm, listen to a robot explaining to me in Irish and English the hoops I need to get though in order to speak to a human voice.
Eventually after long rigmaroles I am offered the possibility of leaving a message. I have now done that on at least four occasions and of course I have received no reply or been given any information.
Only last week BBC Radio 4 carried a story about how people are becoming more and more annoyed and frustrated by being unable to speak to a human voice at the other end of the phone.
Every day we are being inundated by stories about AI and the positive and negative aspects it can and will have on our lives.
I’m no Luddite or conspiracy theorist but I’m beginning to ask is there someone out there, who is attempting to avoid us humans?
Before it all comes crashing down, please would the Department of Education speak to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment