Friday, September 4, 2026

How can we stop the vacuous 'like'?

It seems in ordinary conversation in Ireland today it is next to impossible for anyone to put a sentence together without saying the word 'like' or the expression, 'like you know'.

It has become nonsensical. Younger people, people of school age, cannot put a sentence together without saying 'like' five or six times; every sentence begins with like. But it is not  exclusively used by younger people.

And it cuts across all classes, indeed its genesis maybe well be with the middle classes.

Someone has said it is a word-filler; what exactly is that? The way it is being used it has no meaning whatsoever, it is vacuous.

Yes, 'I like cycling' or 'he looks like his mother', perfect meaning of the word. But 'Like I went to town today and I bought a book, like. Gosh, the town was busy, like.'

It seems to be the first word foreigners learn when they arrive in Ireland.

How did this madness get such a life and how can it be ridiculed and stopped?


No comments:

Featured Post

How can we stop the vacuous 'like'?

I t seems in ordinary conversation in Ireland today it is next to impossible for anyone to put a sentence together without saying the word ...