Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Websites can lead us to entangled webs of frustration

This week's column in The Kerryman newspaper.


Michael Commane

Are you up to speed with how much you are paying for all your different facilities? Are you computer literate or do you have to ask someone how to guide you through the maze of all the different websites?


How do you manage with passwords? No doubt if you are extremely efficient and with loads of cop on you will have your passwords hidden away somewhere or else you will use the same password for everything. The point about that is we are forever being told not to write down our passwords and never to use the same password across the board. So what actually should we do?


I have had a week of hell trying to navigate my way through a number of websites.


Every teacher in the State has to be registered with the Teaching Council of Ireland in order to be employed in a school. I have no idea how many times I have requested a new password. On my most recent visit to the website I became confused and called the office number to learn that it does not open until midday every working day. That sounds and smells extremely strange to me. 


I eventually managed to get through some days later when I had free time after 12pm. The customer services representative, with whom I spoke, was most helpful.


The following day I ventured to log on to MyGovId. It was the nightmare that broke this camel’s back; part of it was my own fault, once again I had forgotten my password. I now have my new password written down in a diary. Oops, I’m told not to do that.


But I eventually got on to the magic website after many attempts and security numbers popping in and out of my phone.


I tried navigating on to the appropriate section, I failed. Luckily I had a phone number. Have you noticed it is well nigh impossible to find phone numbers on websites.


Many days later and hours wasted being frustrated and annoyed I discovered that how the State now pays Household Benefits has been changed. Until last September the State paid the allowance for your electricity or gas consumption directly to the relevant facility. 


As and from September 2025 all new benefit holders, or people who change their provider, receive the money into their personal account. Is that a good idea, would it not be wiser to stay with the old system? The Department told me the new way is easier and cheaper for the State. 


But what really surprised me about the change was that it all seemed to be done very quietly and I can’t remember seeing any adverts or announcements about it.


Some days later I tried phoning a school textbook company; I spent two days trying to get through, no answer the first day, second day I’m told to leave a message. It’s many days later now, and still no contact from them.


I’ve heard of a case whereby when a student asked to go for a toilet break it had to be registered on the computer.


Honestly, have computers really made it any easier for the ordinary jockser like me?


What’s going to happen when AI takes over? I’m no Luddite but I am scared.


 

No comments:

Featured Post

Websites can lead us to entangled webs of frustration

This week's column in The Kerryman newspaper. Michael Commane Are you up to speed with how much you are paying for all your different fa...