This week's column in The Kerryman newspaper.
Michael Commane
While waiting at the Luas stop in Dublin’s Broombridge in early spring I got talking to a tram driver. If you are a regular reader you will well know by now I’m interested in all things to do with public transport but especially railways, and you can add the Luas to that.
I’d say the man was in his 50s.We were chatting about all sorts of railway matters, braking systems, signalling, etc. During our conversation he told me he had been a member of the Defence Forces up to recently.
Being more familiar with Irish Rail than Luas operations I asked him would he prefer to be driving mainline trains. He explained that if he went working for Irish Rail he would lose his army pension.
My head was in overdrive and I was wondering what was going on. He explained that because the Defence Forces and Irish Rail are both State entities, your pension is abated if, in retirement, you move to another State or semi-State company; that means your pension is stopped while you are in State employment.
That surely has to be an antiquated rule. It makes no sense. This man can work away driving a tram and retain his Defence Forces pension, but if he drives a train operated by Irish Rail he loses his pension.
Up to last month Luas was operated by Transdev, since the beginning of this month it is operated by Anglo French company, Keolis Amey.
Only last week I discovered I’m in the same boat. I’ve returned to teaching in retirement. Not only is my pension abated, but my teaching salary has dropped to the lowest point on the teaching scale.
It really is farcical, while all the time the government is shouting from the rooftops about a shortage of teachers. Could you find a better example of someone talking out of both sides of their mouth at the same time. It’s beyond belief.
It might make some sense if someone was teaching all their lives, they would have a hefty pension, as teaching pensions are generous, but what about someone who has dipped in and out of teaching; their pensions can be minuscule?
Have the teaching unions ever discussed this matter?
Talking about unions; when I first started teaching the ASTI would not allow me join their union. They argued because I was a priest they considered me part of management.
No one could ever be further from management than I. I still believe that the ASTI was wrong in prohibiting me from joining back then. They have never offered me an apology.
I’m forever in wonder how certain causes can easily gain traction and other matters are pushed aside and let die.
Right across all organisations there are people who suffer at the hands of management and far too often there is no one out there to protect them. It would be silly and churlish of us to think that the day of the underdog has vanished from society.
If you were at Mass at the weekend the Gospel would tell you whose side Jesus is on. It’s well worth a read (Matthew 20: 1- 16) It tells the story of the generous landlord, who leaves no one short.
No comments:
Post a Comment