Tuesday, October 24, 2023

The world’s spend on weapons is an obscenity

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column

Michael Commane

Often in the most unexpected situations and in places you never expect you can hear the wisest of words, stories if they were lived out, could change the face of the earth.


Last week I found myself talking to a stranger. I don’t know the man from Adam. He obviously had a great interest in all things GAA. He asked me had I been at the hurling final and went on to tell me he was a big hurling supporter. 


The conversation broadened out and then he recalled how his local GAA club in recent years had amalgamated with the neighbouring club. Both clubs had seen a large fall off in player numbers so the only way for the GAA to survive in the area was for them to merge.


‘It has worked a dream,’ he told me. ‘And do you know what, before we joined there was terrible rivalry between the two clubs. And it wasn’t just in GAA matters. We actually hated the other crowd and they hated us. It was pure murder between us. And now we are the best of friends,’ he said.


Of course I dare not mention the names of the two clubs or parishes But it certainly has set me thinking.

I’m not a politician, have never formally studied politics, economics, world affairs but that does not stop me from being scared out of my living daylights about how precarious world peace is at present.


Some days ago I read in a newspaper that North Korea has shipped a consignment of weapons to Russia for its war in Ukraine. Is that not beyond hideous when North Korea is having serious difficulties feeding its own population.


My knowledge of the problems in the Middle East is limited. Beyond two visits to Lebanon and a general narrow understanding of its history, it would be unwise of me ‘pronounce’ on the current situation. 


I am aware how the Jewish people have suffered down through the centuries and I can understand how determined they are to protect themselves. But I have also seen how the people of Palestine have been brutalised year in year out. It was in Beirut that I learned that there are old women and men who have spent their entire lives in camps in Lebanon. That can’t be right.


There is the war in Ukraine where Russia broke all international rules in invading a sovereign state. The people of Ukraine have been tortured and brutalised by the Russians, the Germans, the Poles, the armies of the Austro Hungarian Empire. Its borders have moved backwards and forwards over the centuries. Russia has been invaded by the Mongols, the French and the Germans. And then there are all the disputes, wars and hunger across Africa.


The US spent €834 billion on its military in 2022, which was 40 per cent of military spending worldwide. For the same period the Chinese spent €219 billion and the UK €64 billion. 


With those vast sums of money the world could feed, house and educate a lot of people. Don’t forget anything that is produced is intended for use.


How much time, energy and money is dedicated in an attempt at bringing people together? I’m back thinking of the two GAA clubs.

No comments:

Featured Post

Trying to paint a vision for the future of the Irish Dominicans

The link below is to a talk given by Fr Stephen Cummins in the Dominican Priory church in Galway last week. It was part of a series of talks...