Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Form filling that would put years on you

This week’s Mediauis Irish regional newspapers’ column.

Michael Commane
All our worries, troubles and irritations fade into oblivion when we see what is happening in Ukraine.
 
It is unimaginable. It is incomprehensible, mothers with children, old women and men attempting to flee the place that is theirs. There are no words to describe what is happening.

And in the midst of all the suffering and misery I am embarrassed getting hot under the collar about my small troubles. 

I have been bemused in my dealings with a number of public bodies and State agencies. My two most recent skirmishes have been with Electric Ireland concerning my new smart meter, and then my saga in obtaining a new driving licence.

My Electric Ireland ‘conversation’ is ongoing, and I wait in trepidation the outcome of my NDLS experience. And just in case you don’t know, NDLS is an acronym for National Driving Licence Service. I’m weary of websites, acronyms and phone numbers that don’t work. 

My current three-year driving licence expires on March 14. On receiving my current driving licence in 2019 I had to undergo a medical examination including an eye test. Anyone 70 or over was obliged to do so. 

Three weeks ago I received a driving licence application form in the post. On this form it tells me that the NDLS is extending the age-limit for a medical cert from 70 to 75. But here’s the conundrum, they don’t tell you the exact date this is happening but tell you to check their website.
 
Confusing? Certainly. There is a telephone number on the form, which I phone. The number is not in service. Annoying? Certainly. 

I phone the relevant Government Department and a person gives me a number to call. I almost got the impression it was some sort of secret number. I eventually discover that the new 75 rule has now been activated. 

Has anyone out there seen or heard anything about this change to the driving licence? I get the impression they are trying to keep it a secret. As I struggle through the form I receive another body blow. 

On one page I am told I need to enclose a picture of myself and then on another page it expressly states that there is no need for photo identification.

I know in comparison to what is going on in Ukraine it is trifling stuff, but honestly I am demented with form filling, computer websites and hanging on like a fool waiting for someone to speak to on a phone.

But it is important to state that when the NDLS clears up a number of issues on the driving licence application form it has the potential to make it relatively easy to renew your driving licence. 

It seems I’m one of those people caught in the middle, neither one thing nor the other. In a way, it’s the story of my life.

As for finding information about my new smart electricity meter, after a number of phone calls and several attempts at downloading the relevant app, I’m still at sea.

And then there’s the story of verifying my MyGov id account, just to say they too give a phone number that does not work.

It’s all exhausting. I’m exhausted and confused. But I’m back thinking of the terror the people of Ukraine are experiencing. 

My troubles are indeed small.

No comments:

Featured Post

Trying to paint a vision for the future of the Irish Dominicans

The link below is to a talk given by Fr Stephen Cummins in the Dominican Priory church in Galway last week. It was part of a series of talks...