Tuesday, June 1, 2021

I’ve discovered a book club is a great idea

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column.


Michael Commane

Over the years I have often heard people talk about book clubs. I regularly overhear friends chat about this or that book that they are reading in their book club. 


In the hospital where I work there is a book club and although I am there five years it is only this year that I joined.


The latest book we have read is ‘Leonard and Hungry Paul’ by Rónán Hession, published by Bluemoose Books Ltd in 2019. It’s not your usual type of book, though it was highly recommended by Dublin City Council. One Dublin One Book is a Dublin City Council initiative that encourages all citizens to read the same book during the month of April every year and ‘Leonard and Hungry Paul’ is the chosen book for 2021.


Our book club meets, these days via zoom, every six weeks, which means we have a limited time to read the book that is chosen. I’m a slow reader so it means I have to hurry myself up and also, it adds a certain discipline routine to my reading.


I started out on this book and it took me the best part of 30 pages to get into it. And that’s another plus for the book club because, only for it I may not have persevered and could easily have given up after 30 or so pages. I’m so glad I kept reading as it is such a lovely read.


It’s principally about the two men, Leonard and Hungry Paul. I have no idea why he is called Hungry Paul. Maybe a reader of this column might have a suggestion as to his name?


They are two decent chaps, probably in their 30s. Leonard’s mother has just died and Hungry Paul lives at home with his parents. His sister, Grace gets married in the course of the book. Leonard is a writer and works for a publishing company. 


You could easily describe Hungry Paul as being somewhat odd. He is anything but, indeed, he is a wise owl. Okay, he is different but his difference might be because he thinks outside the box. He sees value in silence. He works one day a week as a relief postman and his sister gets annoyed with him for not having a ‘proper’ job. But she has a surprise in store for herself. 


Her brother wins a phrase competition organised by the local Chamber of Commerce, which opens doors for him. Hungry Paul’s parents are far more understanding and empathetic towards him than is his sister.


Leonard and Hungry Paul are single and it would seem neither of them has been in any sort of serious relationship. Both of them give the impression that they are somewhat shy and maybe even lacking in confidence. 


There’s a fire drill where Leonard works and that’s how he first encounters Shelley. She’s lovely, has a child, whom she protects with every limb of her body. 


I won’t ruin the story so no more on the relationship between Leonard and Shelley.


The book is a tale about good people, living their lives. I can’t recall one rude or vulgar word in the book and the people in it are genuinely decent people. It has a weak ending, which I felt takes from the book and might even become a talking point when people are discussing it.


It comes highly recommended. And don’t hesitate to join a bookclub.


No comments:

Featured Post

Keep me from the snares of those who do evil

In the midst of a world in turmoil, torn by hatred and greed, lines from Psalm 140 offer consolation:             To you, Lord God, my eyes ...