Tuesday, June 22, 2021

I’m no Mick Dundee but an hello helps

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column.

Michael Commane
Cycling home from Mass on Monday morning I came up behind a mother and what I took for her seven/eight-year-old daughter, who were cycling in front of me. The daughter was in front of her mother and her mother was giving her gentle instructions on how to navigate between the kerb and the passing cars.

I was intrigued by it and then when I was overtaking the two of them I said to the mother to tell her daughter that I’m cycling 67 years, gave a wave to the little girl and assured her she was doing a fantastic job. I cycled off and it’s most unlikely that we’ll ever meet again. But I do know I gave the little girl’s mother cause to smile. She was delighted with both herself and her daughter and waved me goodbye.

I hadn’t cycled 500 metres when I was reminded of the 1986 film Crocodile Dundee.
 
Sue Charlton (Linda Kozlowski) is a feature writer on her father’s New York newspaper and is engaged to the paper’s editor when she goes to visit Mick Dundee (Paul Hogan) in Australia’s Outback.

Later in the film he travels back to New York with Sue. It’s his first time in the US. He brings all his rural customs of the outback with him to the Big Apple. He says hello to everyone he meets on the street, even opens the window of his taxi to greet people. Naturally New Yorkers think this chap is crazy. And he certainly does behave in a way to which no New Yorker would be accustomed.

Well before the onslaught of Covid a friend of mine commented that there are so many elderly and lonely people out there that even to say hello to them when passing them on the street is a good idea. I listened to her carefully and decided I should follow her example. I didn’t. 

Some months ago I heard Fr Peter McVerry arguing that even if we are unwilling to give a person begging on the street some money, at least we could say hello to them. Again, I was impressed with the idea but like all good intentions the path to hell is paved with good intentions.

It was Covid that caused me to develop my new street policy. These days I’m saying hello to far more pedestrians and cyclists than I ever did before. Of course I’m not saying hello to everyone I pass on Grafton or O’Connell Street but on quiet streets and parks these days I’m far more inclined to say hello or give a nod of the head. 

The same with cyclists, I’ll say hello or offer some sort of friendly gesture when passing or stopped at traffic lights.

I’m pleasantly surprised with the responses I am getting. The vast majority of people reply or give some sort of recognition.

Just think of the difference it could make for them and for us.

I have learned from my job as a hospital chaplain the profound importance of a simple smile or a quick kind word.

Mick Dundee’s approach was hilariously funny, but remember where it got him in the end. If you haven’t seen the film, watch it and find out.

And say hello to the passing person.

No comments:

Featured Post

Let’s not forget the church is the reality of the living Jesus

The Thinking Anew column in The Irish Times today. Michael Commane Pope Francis will be 88 in December. He was elected pope on March 13, 20...