Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Danger masked when descending steps

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column

Michael Commane
Covid has dominated our news for over 12 months. 

The lists of dos and don’ts have been quite exhausting, indeed, they have been the cause of street demonstrations.

But some months ago I discovered something about the world of Covid that has received no news whatsoever.

At work some months ago one day I was coming down a wide stairs wearing my mask when I lost my footing. But luckily nothing untoward happened. I quickly learned an important lesson. When walking up and down stairs but particularly so when descending, it is essential that one holds on to the bannister when wearing a face covering.

Since my near-mishap I have been telling everyone to make sure to hold on to the bannister when wearing a face covering while on a stairs.

Certainly in my case I find wearing a mask impedes my vision in some way or other and especially so when on a stairs. There’s also the issue of your glasses steaming up.

On Wednesday, May 26 I was in the RTE Radio studios recording a piece for the following Friday’s ‘A Leap of Faith’. I cycled there from work. It was a few hours of needed distraction and it was all something of a novelty for me. I’ve been in the building a few times but it is terrain with which I am not too familiar.

I had my mask on right up to the moment when the recording began. Once the recording was over and I had finished my coffee I replaced my face covering.

I was chatting with the very kind and pleasant producer and then when the business was all done she accompanied me from the studio back to my bicycle.
There is a number of concrete steps from the door of the building back down to ground level.

We were chatting away and I can imagine we were having a mix of a funny and animated conversation. We both had our masks on. Unwisely I did not held on to any of the four rails on the steps.

Somewhere half way down the steps I slipped and stumbled, indeed, it happened three times over two or three steps. In those mili-seconds I knew exactly what was happening. 

I can still vividly remember it. I was certain there was no way out of this without having a smashed ankle, and that would be getting away lightly. But in those mili-seconds I fought like a demon to protect myself. 

And to my absolute amazement and total surprise I managed to save myself and stay upright. No damage was done whatsoever. And the producer, who was with me, could not believe that I was still standing with no damage done. Indeed, the next morning she kindly sent me a text inquiring if I were okay. I was. 

Indeed I’m still thinking about it and how miraculously fortunate I was not to have at least broken my ankle. 

Once again it set me thinking about our fragility. But most of all it was the starkest of reminders to me never ever to descend a stairs or steps with a mask on without holding on to a bannister/rail. If there is no rail or bannister, then please remove your mask, especially so when descending.

Stay safe and take good care when wearing a mask on stairs.

1 comment:

Brian Hickey said...

You took only 2 falls to learn that lesson? :-)

Had a listen to the show. Very genuine and sincere comments from you Michael that showed the human side as well. Wasn't sure about when you said "I see the Christianity" in people. I know what you meant but it seemed to apply to just a selection of religions.


Brian

Featured Post

Keep me from the snares of those who do evil

In the midst of a world in turmoil, torn by hatred and greed, lines from Psalm 140 offer consolation:             To you, Lord God, my eyes ...