Thursday, May 23, 2013

A deleted comment in the wrong place

This comment appears in this format because, in error, I pressed the delete button and so was unable to post it as a comment.

Francis Hunt has left a new comment on your post "Recalling my father on Pentecost Sunday":

This is a lovely piece, Michael.

I know that it is part of the journalistic tradition to take yourself out of what you write - to report "objective facts" - but I often question how much this is possible, or even desirable. One of the worst things is opinion masquerading as "fact," something one can unfortunately meet all over the place; the right, whether religious or political, is particularly prone to it (e.g. Alive! or Fox News).

Most good writing has a strong foundation in the personal, whether Michael Harding or Tom Wolfe (even if Wolfe would try to deny it). It is, contrary to a particular onvention, perfectly okay to begin a piece with the word I.

Where in God's name did he get you indeed! :-)


Posted by Francis Hunt to Occasional scribbles at May 23, 2013

2 comments:

Michael Commane said...

And I have no idea where he and Mum got me. Still, sometimes I get glimpses even after 45 years with the Dominicans.

Michael said...

Michael, I was very moved by what yoy wrote about yor dad. My dad died 25 years ago and I miss him as much today. I laugh when. I hear priests talking about hard work and sacrifice. The ignorance in such speech is risible! My parents knew hardship, going without and really hard work, yet were faifhful Catholics all their,lives. As I survey today's church, I often wonder 'for what?'.

Featured Post

Channel 4 shows the lies told by UK Post Office bosses

Channel 4’s main evening news yesterday spent the first 20 minutes reporting on the UK Post Office scandal. They played audio tapes from 201...