Sunday, November 4, 2018

'What's the kind thing to do?'

From this week's parish newsletters in the Three Patrons, Rathgar, and Clonskeagh churches

Michael Commane
A friend of mine contacted me last week and asked had I heard Brian Kennedy being interviewed on The Ray D’Arcy Show.

I hadn’t heard it but Alleluia for the RTE Radio Player. It meant I could listen to it in my own time.
It so happens that Brian Kennedy is singing in concert here in this church on Friday, November 30. The concert is in aid of the Three Patrons partner parish, Kyuso in Kenya.

On The Ray D’Arcy Show Brian spoke about his cancer and the operation he was due to have the following Monday in London, which was October 29, our Bank Holiday Monday in Ireland.

My friend mentioned the interview to me, knowing that I am a hospital chaplain.

It was one of those interviews, at least for me, that stopped me in my step and made me listen.
He explained about his diagnosis and how he was coping with the fact that he had cancer and how he was going to have to live with all that that entails.

Brian made two outstanding comments. He said: “Cancer puts manners on people,” and then later in the interview he said: “Never mind what’s right or wrong, what’s the kind thing to do?”

He explained how he and his brother had fallen out and had not spoken to one another in a long time and that it had been a serious disagreement. His cancer was the catalyst that persuaded him to make amends with his brother.

It was brilliant radio and probably because of my job as a hospital chaplain I could perfectly identity with what Brian was saying.

All the silly and trivial matters that we get so worked up about, the issues that cause us worry. And most of the time they are all incidentals that have really little or nothing to do with what matters.

It’s certainly well worth listening to. The programme was aired on RTE Radio 1 on Thursday, October 25. It begins after the 3pm new bulletin and the Brian Kennedy clip is approximately 21 minutes into the programme. 

No comments:

Featured Post

UK to expel Russian defence attache as sanctions escalate

This is getting very serious and dangerous. At the same time the far right AfD in Germany is growing in power and status with the passing on...