Tuesday, January 9, 2024

RTÉ Christmas schedule was radio gaga

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column.

Michael Commane

On the last day of 2023 I came home from work shortly after midday, made myself a snack and turned on the radio, RTÉ Radio 1 to be precise. They were discussing what it’s like to wear Doc Martens.

 

One contributor said that he had 30 pairs of the said shoes.


I remember those wise words of Gay Byrne that a listener always has the choice of turning off the radio or tuning in to another station. I took the great man’s advice and turned off the radio to enjoy my lunchtime snack in silence and peace.


It came to 1pm and decided to turn the radio back on again to listen to the news. This time they were talking about booking summer holidays,  advising people to book early and then the conversation moved to booking a car space at Dublin Airport. Is that news? 


Who needs to be told that if you book a flight or a holiday in advance there is a good chance you will pay less for it than if you buy it at the last minute. Talking on radio in December where you will park your car six months hence is mind blowing.


Staying with the airport, I’m scratching my head and asking myself have we reached a stage where we have to be in permanent travel mode? It seems we alway have to be going somewhere. When it comers to travel have we forgotten all about our carbon footprint?


I can’t believe the number of times over the Christmas period just gone that I switched off the radio or tuned in to another station. Is there anyone in RTÉ who has the sense to realise how poor the station was this Christmas? At least, I found myself tuning out as quickly as I tuned in over the holiday period. Do I really need to know how many pairs of Doc Martens someone has? 


The previous day, retiring Senator David Norris was interviewed on RTÉ Radio 1. 


I have great respect for the man and admire the work he has done and is still doing it. But within seconds of his appearing, the interviewer began to talk about homosexuality. David did great campaigning work in the area but don’t we all know that at this stage? 


I was wondering if Joe Bloggs were on radio talking about politics or education and was then asked about his sexuality, what would he say and why would anyone be interested?


In the run up to Christmas I heard a radio presenter talk about the type of aftershave he wears. He told us how he sourced it in Spain and that it’s great value. A discussion on the said aftershave ensued. I find it a tad ironic on a Sunday morning to have to tune in to BBC to listen to a religious affairs programme at 7am. 


And on that point, I think BBC Radio 4 does two short early morning religious/spiritual clips every weekday. Back in those dark days of the 1950s and ’60s Radio Éireann closed down during the day for a number of hours.


 They might well have saved themselves some scarce resources had they reverted to that practice over the Christmas period.

No comments:

Featured Post

Trying to paint a vision for the future of the Irish Dominicans

The link below is to a talk given by Fr Stephen Cummins in the Dominican Priory church in Galway last week. It was part of a series of talks...