Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Chaplains play an important role in hospitals

This week’s Independent News & Media/Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column

 

Michael Commane

Up to 20 or 30 years ago it was generally accepted that a hospital chaplain was an ordained minister.


That has all changed. Today one does not have to be a priest to be a chaplain.


I’ve been a hospital chaplain for six years. I have often referred to my work in this column. 


It’s been a life-enhancing experience, a privilege to sit with patients and listen to their stories. You might ask what does a hospital chaplain do, I can only answer that question by explaining what I do. I wasn’t in the job long when I came up with the idea of doing a morning paper round. It was a great way to introduce myself to patients. Indeed a patient’s choice of a particular newspaper could well lead to a conversation on politics, sport, anything. It could be a moment for a laugh. 


And on the rare occasion when they might tell me that they read my column, then of course the whole ball game changes and I tell them that I now have proof that I have at least one fan. That might sound silly or supercilious but the job is all about engaging with patients and we all have our own unique ways in how we engage with other people. 


I can imagine patients enjoy or like being distracted from their worries and concerns. To lighten their load I see as part of my job. To engage people in chit chat is usually, whether in hospital or not, an enjoyable and fun moment.


Earlier this month I attended a conference at UCD. The title of the day was ‘International Symposium on Spiritual Care in Nursing’. It was hosted by UCD School of Nursing, Midwifery and Health Systems. There were speakers from Italy, Scotland, Wales, England and Ireland.


I came away from the day with a realisation that there is a spiritual dimension to every human being. But then the question is what does spirituality mean?


There is a distinction between spirituality and religiosity. Spirituality recognises that there is more to us than the corporeal and material side of our being. It’s seldom I’ve met a patient who does not accept that there is more to them than riches, status and all those worldly things about which we spend so much time worrying.


During the day someone noted that there are at least 25 different religions in Ireland and that we are not prepared for this new reality.


The conference made me more aware of the innate spirituality of the person, and that no one religion has exclusive rights on the spiritual.


Every time I chat with anyone, whether a patient or a member of staff in the hospital surely we are engaging with each other as spiritual beings. It so happens I’m a Catholic priest, which allows me to administer the Sacraments of my church. I seldom if ever ask a patient what religion they are. And I like it that way.


The conference gave me new ideas for my work and I came away with a realisation of the importance of hospital chaplaincy.


I was surprised that there was only one ordained minister at the conference. A pity.

No comments:

Featured Post

UK to expel Russian defence attache as sanctions escalate

This is getting very serious and dangerous. At the same time the far right AfD in Germany is growing in power and status with the passing on...