Tuesday, July 12, 2022

It’s not gone away and I know firsthand

This week’s INM/Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers' column.

Michael Commane

I’d been telling everyone that I had managed to avoid Covid, at least so far. And would add that I usually pick up every sort of dirt but have dodged Covid. Only in mid-June I gave out my spiel with a smile, saying: ‘touch wood, no Covid,’ and at that, I’d jokingly touch my head.

My luck ran out. Late on Thursday, June 30 I felt queasy, not exactly sure what was wrong with me. But by early Friday morning I knew exactly what the score was. I felt worse than miserable. 

Over the last two years there was a number of occasions when I wondered should I take an antigen test but on this occasion I had no doubt what the result would be. I had almost forgotten how to take the test. Within minutes of swabbing my nose and ‘filtering’ the solution into the reader the two pink lines appeared. I had Covid but I didn’t need the test to tell me that.

It was a weird sensation. I felt my legs were hanging off, plus a feeling of nausea and dizziness. I wanted to cough but couldn’t do so in any satisfactory way and I had also broken out into a terrible sweat. I was floored. But I had no temperature, it kept hovering at 37.7 Celsius.

I have been flabbergasted with how suddenly it attacked me. Just imagine had I been on an early morning train to Kerry or snaking along in a queue at Dublin Airport. It’s unthinkable.

After 48 hours of misery I felt the worst was over and began to experience normality return to my veins.

With a few minor hiccups and annoyances, within a few days I was back to my usual good-healthy condition. I’ve been fortunate. What would it have been like had I not had my two boosters? What would it have been like had I had some underlying condition? What would it have been like if I were living in war-torn Ukraine?

It’s been another moment for me to realise how fortunate and privileged I am.
 
I remember back in March 2020 seeing firsthand how Covid had the viciousness to take the lives of those who were weak and vulnerable.

It’s been the strangest of times. We have had the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers. But most of all we have had our nurses, doctors, carers, all the medical personnel, going that proverbial extra mile to protect and save us. And we have also had our Government and the HSE organising the greatest ever campaign in the history of the State. 

Of course mistakes were made, anywhere there is life, mistakes are made. From day one of this pandemic I have had no patience with the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers. But now, having fallen victim to Covid, I find myself getting apoplectic  with the madness, nastiness, stupidity and arrogance of the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers.

A word of caution. It’s important that we remain on our guard. Keep up to speed with HSE.ie. Is it time to make mask wearing compulsory on public transport and in public buildings? I’m inclined to think it is. It’s not gone away you know. I know firsthand. And thanks to all who helped and advised me.

No comments:

Featured Post

Trying to paint a vision for the future of the Irish Dominicans

The link below is to a talk given by Fr Stephen Cummins in the Dominican Priory church in Galway last week. It was part of a series of talks...