Monday, June 3, 2019

Angela Merkel on walls and lies

German Chancellor Angela Merkel addressing Harvard graduates last week told them to "tear down walls of ignorance and narrow-mindedness, not to call lies truth and truth lies.

"I was no dissident, I didn't run up against the wall but I didn't deny it either because I didn't want to lie to myself.

"The Berlin Wall limited my opportunities, it literally stood in the way. But in all those years it didn't manage one thing: to deny my inner borders.

"My peronality, fantasy and longings - none of that could be limited by bans and coercion."

Great words spoken by a German chancellor on Ascension Thursday in the United States of American during the presidency of Donald Trump.

No comments:

Featured Post

Trying to paint a vision for the future of the Irish Dominicans

The link below is to a talk given by Fr Stephen Cummins in the Dominican Priory church in Galway last week. It was part of a series of talks...