Sunday, April 21, 2019

Joe Bergin

Joe Bergin was born in 1935. He attended Newbridge College as a boarder and joined the Dominican Order in 1953 and ordained a priest in 1960.

In 1976 I was assigned to the Dominican Priory in Pope's Quay, Cork, where Joe Bergin was prior of the community.

He was prior during my three years there while I was attending UCC.

Joe was an impressive figure, kind and a fine public speaker. A man who was open to the world.

At university with me at the time was a fellow Dominican, Gerard B Skelly, who was a past pupil of Newbridge College, where, like Joe, he had been a boarder.

On wet winter days while cycling the short distance from the Lee to UCC it was not an umcommon practice for Gerard to pass me, driving the community car. Back in the day there were only two community cars.

Gerard had broken his theology studies in Tallaght to attend university, where he studied English and French

It was always Gerard's skill to have the ear of the boss and well he managed it with Joe Bergin.

I can still remember remonstrating with Joe and as young 27-year-old telling him that he was a lazy man. The cheek of me.

Gerard Skelly tragically died in the late 1990s.

Joe Bergin left the Dominicans, married, moved to the United States and became an Episcopalian priest, working first in Canada and then later in upstate New York.

We stayed in touch over the years. I met him and his wife on many occasions when they came to Ireland on holiday.

Approximately two years ago he emailed me to tell me his wife had died and he was a broken man. I replied twice but no response from Joe. Eventually I presumed he had died.

Three weeks ago talking to friends of a patient in St Luke's Hospital we came to talk about the Dominicans. It so happened that I had taught the brother of one of the visitors. The following day they told me that they had another Dominican link.

They asked me did I know Joe Bergin.

Yesterday, Holy Saturday, I visited Joe in a nursing home in Cavan.

Though suffering from dementia, he recognised me and we had a delightful conversation. 

All the Dominican names that came up for mention. And all our cross-referencing. I could tell him many a story, criticise some of his appointments, those Dominicans we both agreed were great men. And then the others.

I was able to tell him the direction in which the Irish Dominican were going.
Joe still has his impish style, his roguish comments and I'm as abrasive and cheeky as back in the day in Cork.

Was it a better organisation then than it is now? An easy answer to that question.

We cried and laughed a lot too. More laughs than tears.
He, whom I thought was dead, is alive. Alleluia.

And all that on Holy Saturday, 2019.

Easter greetings to all readers.

5 comments:

Póló said...

Lovely, if sort of sad, Easter story.

Joyce2 said...

Do you have any news of Joe Bergin? I knew him.
Did you know Ino Ryan, any news of him or his family?

Michael Commane said...

Hello, only last week I phoned the nursing home where Joe Bergin is. He is alive and fine. His mind is failing. I went to see him probably two years ago. When I introduced myself he immediately knew me.

No doubt you know Ino Ryan left the Dominicans and married. His brother died in recent years. Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan is a nephew of the late Ino Ryan.
Do you know Fr Ned Foley?
And may I ask who you are?
Delighted you read the blog.
Thank you.

Joyce2 said...

Thank you so much for answering re Joe Bergin.
Yes, I did know Ino left years ago and had a family. I also know he died.
I do recall with fondness Fr. Foley and one or two others from Trinidad.
I am from the West Indies and met some of the Dominicans through University. Sometimes people become a part of your heart and it stays that way though so many years pass.
I wonder if folk with dementia are still doing their souls work just like those in the community of saints. It just seems so amazing that I found your blog and JB's letter re his keaving.
I appreciate your blog and your willingness to connect. Thanks again for answering. Joyce2

corkdave said...

It was my privilege to know Gerard Skelly when he was studying at UCC. I learned a lot about the Dominican community on Popes Quay and met Joe Bergin through him, and I think I know who you are from your writing style which echoes your spoken words. Thank you for your post. It brought back happy memories of people met, parties attended, and stories told.

Featured Post

Keep me from the snares of those who do evil

In the midst of a world in turmoil, torn by hatred and greed, lines from Psalm 140 offer consolation:             To you, Lord God, my eyes ...