Monday, April 1, 2019

A headline that tells a terrible story

This is the front page of the current issue of The Kerryman.

The leadership in the Irish Catholic Church screams all over this headline, this story.

The secrecy, the inability to speak ordinary words, the arrogance, the ineptitude of the management of the chuch is as bad today as it was in the days of Casey, Smith, Cleary et al.

Maybe worse.

This blog could fill pages of examples of clerical nonsense, inefficiency, arrogance, codology, gobbledegook.

And why not? It is getting to breaking point.

The importance bishops and provincials attempt to give themselves.

Has there been any serious debate or critique of the influence papal nuncio Charles Brown had on the Irish church?

It is unacceptable that many church leaders do not make themselves available to the media in an open and agenda-free manner.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The litinay of revelations since the Summer months, beginning with Mr (formerly cardinal) Mccarrick, have been staggering. For those who consider themselves believers it makes for sad reading, even mortifying! I notice that even my parents have lost faith in the churches ability to do good.
I myself parted for the church many years ago, no longer needing a god to live a life filled with joy, wonder and love; in fact I argue I am a better person without any recourse to a god. I have come to the conclusion, after years of wrestling with the question, that christianity in general and Catholicism in particular have been bad for Irish society; its infantalising ideology left our society corrupt and emotionally stunted. I am glad to see its stoney grip slipping into the sphere of the irrelevant.

Featured Post

Keep me from the snares of those who do evil

In the midst of a world in turmoil, torn by hatred and greed, lines from Psalm 140 offer consolation:             To you, Lord God, my eyes ...