Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A lot of talk these days on cycling

There has been much written and much spoken in the last days about cycling in Ireland.

Great to see people out on bikes. But that arrogant class who have jumped from their 'flash cars' to two wheels are even more annoying to observe on thier new transport.

There is a man in Rathgar, well into his 90s, who cycles his bicycle and so gracefully too. A man of gentleness and peace.

An awful lot of talk and writing too from all those 'Johnny-come-latlelies' who have taken to the bike. Shur, let them at it.

I am going to say that, amn't I, in my 59th year of cycling- cycling day-in day-out, in rain, snow and wind to and from work.

But I still remember that magic moment my father was pushing me down the road on my little bike when suddenly I was on my own. I can feel the second and regularly think about that sensation of taking off and being almost airborne.

No comments:

Featured Post

The wonderful symbolism of Torgau has vanished

On this day, April 25, 1945 a symbolic event happened on the river Elbe in the south east German town of Torgau. It was here that the United...