Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Priesthood

For the last few weeks I have been bringing Communion to an old lady in West Kerry. The family telephoned me on Sunday telling me she was dying and asked me would I come and anoint her. I got out of bed and did just that.

I don’t believe my parents are annihilated. What heaven is I have no idea. But we were made for something greater.

Why don’t I leave the priesthood? I don’t know. Maybe it gives me some sort of ‘status’ that I would never otherwise have had. Maybe I am by now totally institutionalised and I need priesthood as an emotional crutch!

Visiting sick and old people, I sometimes say to myself, I’d like to be a good priest.

The old man mentioned in this blog last week, who was buried on Saturday, had a great 'farewell'. It was a real sign how people admire and respect those who live the Christian life in an authentic way. Jamie loved people. He always gave and was never known to take. He loved animals - always a sign of the gentleness of people.

If priesthood is not about people it surely must be some sort of aberration. Far too often the hierarchical church seems to get lost in a world of bureaucracy and maybe power and control too.

The late John O'Gorman OP believed that religious orders and dioceses should have a system in place whereby men who wish to leave the priesthood should be given a financial package that would incentivise their departure. He believed there was little or no point in keeping men who were deeply unhappy and simply afraid to go because they were not in a financial position to leave.

John spoke from a position of strength - spiritually and financially. And that is important to be able to do that.

No comments:

Featured Post

The Tik Tok Taoiseach is a clever nickname

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers. Michael Commane Let me stress how fortunate we are in Ireland, in the European Union, to ha...