Thursday, March 20, 2008

Dominican prior in St Mary's Pope's Quay Cork

Below is a letter from Joe Bergin, which appeared in The Irish Times on Saturday, March 15.

Joe was my prior while I was at UCC between 1976 and 1979. He was always kind to me. In later years we probably understood one another better.

Attending university with me at the time was the late Gerard Skelly. The two of us had a very different understanding of the world and the role of the priest.

Gerard, may God be good to him, had a great way of being on the side of authority. Some might call it consummate diplomacy!

In those days 'fadó fadó, use of a community car was 'somewhat' restricted. On cold wet days, cycling to college and watching Gerard driving past me in the community car I always had a special 'prayer/curse' for Joe Bergin.

Look forward to reading Joe Bergin's book and what he will have to say about the years in Cork. It should make for great reading.

Joe, should you happen to read this blog - greetings to you.

DEAN ELECT OF CHRIST CHURCH
Madam, - I have been following the correspondence regarding the appointment of the new Dean elect to Christ Church Cathedral with great interest. In the late 1980s I was, I believe, the first Irish clergyperson to become an Anglican priest. I had been a Dominican for more than 30 years.
The decision to continue active ministry in another denomination was less acceptable to some than the decision to leave and get married. The references in some of the recent letters to heresy and apostasy stirred up unpleasant memories, though now I can smile at them.
The times, as well as the personal circumstances of my situation then, led me to seek new ministry in America, rather than in Ireland - which would have been my wish. The past 16 years have, to say the least, been eventful. Now that I have reached the age of retirement from full-time ministry, I plan to write about my experiences.
Among the things I've come to realise more and more is that the God and Christ I serve are above and beyond religious persuasion and theological difference. And, in response to Fr John McCallion (March 8th) lamenting and feeling sad about the years spent offering Mass, I can only say I continue to share the Real Presence of Christ with others with great joy and gratitude. - Yours, etc,
Rev JOSEPH A. BERGIN,
Kirkville,
New York,
USA.

No comments:

Featured Post

The wonderful symbolism of Torgau has vanished

On this day, April 25, 1945 a symbolic event happened on the river Elbe in the south east German town of Torgau. It was here that the United...