Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Giving meaning to words

I recently heard a Dominican, a man I greatly admire, say that he was nervous about engaging with other Dominicans as he was afraid they would cut him apart. He explained his feelings succinctly and clearly by pointing out that he felt that every word he would say would be divided and sub-divided into many parts.
It made me think. How correct he is. We have developed an amazing technique in not communicating with one another. I say that on the day after the provincial has gone across the world to attend a general chapter of the Order. Who can care what will happen at that meeting if we are not talking and communicating with each other. Another Dominican admitted to me that he could not think of the name of the Master of the Order.
We are imploding and no-one seems to care. Certainly no-one wants to talk about it. Reading any documents that circulate you would think everything was great.
It is taking me some time to formulate, but I have a story to tell and am on the verge of putting it in print. For a group who gives such lip service to preaching the Gospel and talking about 'truth', well, I must admit to being confused.
Does pious nonsense hide us from what is real?

2 comments:

Michael Commane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Francis Hunt said...

Hi Michael!

Just found out about your blog. I'll be accessing it regularly from now on. Fair dues to you!

Francis Hunt

Featured Post

Trying to paint a vision for the future of the Irish Dominicans

The link below is to a talk given by Fr Stephen Cummins in the Dominican Priory church in Galway last week. It was part of a series of talks...