Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Battle for a word

On Saturday, July 14 Fr Tom McInerney celebrated 50 years of priestly ordination. Tom is a Tipperary man. When I was a student in the Dominican Priory in Tallaght we had the practice of reading in the refectory during meals. Tom McInerney was the corrector at table, which meant if a student mispronounced a word, Tom could correct the error. There could be up to 70 people in the refectory. I can still clearly remember the following incident. I was reading and the word 'nausea' came up. I read it, and believe I pronounced it correctly. Tom stopped me and pronounced the word as he believed it should be pronounced. I continued reading without referring back to his 'corrected version'. He stopped me again and said the following; "Brother Michael it is the custom in this house when the corrected is corrected by the corrector, the corrected corrects the correction of the corrector". That's what he said.
The following day a brother pronounced the word corps as in army corps as if it were a dead body. Fr Tom never corrected him. He must have had a crystal as that man has held 'high office' in the province.
Those were the days and maybe still are.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog is very interesting.
Have you a nice t-shirt?
Please, send me its photo
and the link of your blog,
I' ll publish in my blog!
Thanks Ivo
EMAIL:
ivo.giulivo@gmail.com

Featured Post

Trying to paint a vision for the future of the Irish Dominicans

The link below is to a talk given by Fr Stephen Cummins in the Dominican Priory church in Galway last week. It was part of a series of talks...