Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Celebrating Mass in the vernacular

All the talk about the Latin Mass is intriguing. Has it ever crossed anoyne's mind that there is real need for courses, seminars to help priests celebrate the Mass as we know it, in a prayerful, dignified and meaningful manner.
The prayers of the missal, the prescribed Scripture readings are wonderful. Far too often we priests render the celebration of the Eucharist a most unedifying spectacle.
Will celebrating Mass in Latin change that? I doubt it.
I am a priest 33 years and never once has there been a forum, a platform for discussion, whereby I could be helped and advised in the celebration of Mass. I cannot comment on my own celebration but I certainly have seen appalling instances of terrible celebration.
It would be great if the Vatican/bishops/religious superiors issued a helpful paper in how to assist priests celebrate the Eucharist. And, personally, I prefer to pray in a language I and the people praying with me understand.
I recently heard a priest ramble on and in the middle of his ramble he told the people praying with him that God needs our love. He also told them that the Saturday before Palm Sunday was a great time to marry. It was a sunny day so I presume he saw the sun and was thinking on his feet!
He might well be better off celebrating Mass in Latin, and maybe preaching too in a language most people do not understand.
Maybe the expression 'transparent liturgy' will become the latest oxymoron!

No comments:

Featured Post

The world sure is in a state of chassis

Conor Cruise O’Brien was prescient when he coined the acronym GUBU when he referring to a political scandal in Ireland during a Haughey gove...