Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Making the wrong call at Heuston Station

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column.

Michael Commane

It was Friday morning and I was at the ticket machine at the Luas stop at Heuston Station in Dublin. 


I suppose I spent a minute or two looking at the fare structure and the route the Red Line takes when our eyes met. She was a young woman sitting down on the seat beside the machine. She was poorly dressed and I did notice that her teeth were in bad condition. 


She stood up, came over to me and asked me would I give her some money. I forget how much she asked for, maybe it was her fare into town. She went on to tell me that she was pregnant. She was wearing a shabby white T-shirt and yes, it was evident that she was expecting a baby. 


I told her the truth that I had no change on me. Maybe I should have checked my wallet so as to give her a note. But I didn’t do that. 


When I told her I had no change she immediately accepted what I said and went back to her seat and sat down. 


I was half way between the Luas stop and the entrance to Heuston Station when I went back to her and apologised for not giving her anything and told her how impressed I had been with her graciousness. 


I went on my way and travelled on the 9am Cork service, en route to West Kerry.


The following evening, back again at the Luas stop at Heuston Station, this time waiting for a city-bound Luas, a man, probably in his 30s, early 40s started begging and asking the large crowd waiting for the Luas if they could spare a ‘few bob’. 


He said he was homeless and rhetorically asked us what we would do if we were homeless. It was raining, a miserable evening, which complemented his mood of sadness and maybe even rejection. I won’t say he was threatening but my immediate reaction was not to get involved with him in anyway whatsoever. I think he was using a walking stick. 


From what I could see nobody was giving him any money. Indeed, whatever way he behaved, he created a strange eerie silence among those waiting for the Luas. Then almost without notice he seemed to disappear into the ether. 


He was gone. The tram arrived and the large crowd boarded.


After the savage attack on US tourist, Stephen Termini and the publicity it garnered there is a heightened awareness of crime in our cities.

 

Any time I’m at that Luas stop at Heuston I’m constantly watching my back and make sure to engage with no one whom I would consider to be in anyway dangerous.

 

I’m disappointed with myself that I did not give the pregnant woman a note that I had in my wallet. I could easily have done it and yet I didn’t. On the other hand I have no regrets for not giving anything to the man who was begging on Saturday evening.


I don’t think it was a question of woman versus man, no not at all. There was a gentleness about the woman, whereas the man seemed to be angry, maybe even combative. Isn’t it strange how we read people. I know it’s a cliche but don’t we often advise people not to judge a book by the cover. We all do it, even with books.


It must be hell on earth to have to beg on the street. 


What must it be like for a pregnant woman? I’m fairly sure I made the wrong call on Friday morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So the poor are fine as long as they are docile, but those who confront us with our own hypocrisy can be shunned at will? What would Jesus have done?

Featured Post

UK to expel Russian defence attache as sanctions escalate

This is getting very serious and dangerous. At the same time the far right AfD in Germany is growing in power and status with the passing on...