Thursday, September 2, 2021

Tess, had been on many a mountain but loved her comfort

It may have been 2007, at least 


sometime in that period, that I acquired Tess my Labrador.

She had been with a family where the couple split up and Tess was not quite abandoned but left somewhere in no-man’s land.

My previous dog had died and the woman of the house suggested Tess would be a good fit for me.

She turned out not just a perfect fit but an adorable friend.

She moved to Dublin with me. We climbed every mountain in Wicklow and Dublin and some in Kerry. We regularly swam in the Atlantic.

As she grew older, friends pointed out to me that it was not fair to leave her at home all day on her own while I was out at work.

Their wisdom prevailed and in 2016 Tess moved less than two kilometres to her new home, where she was spoiled beyond words.

Anytime I called to see her, even in her old age, she came to greet me. She well knew who I was.

On Monday I received this message from Bernadette:

"St Francis took Tess at 7.10 a.m this mirning.  First time ever she barked and woke me at 3am. I came down & sat with her until she died. What a wonderful creature  she was. Peter and myself are heartbroken. But glad she didn't suffer much.

Thank you for giving her to us."

2 comments:

Póló said...

The death of pets can be heartbreaking. You have my sympathies.

Brian Hickey said...

Gutted to hear that Michael. Always wanted to get to meet her. We have 2 Labs of our own and I dread the day...

Featured Post

The adopted genius who invented the iMac

On this day, May 6, 1998 Steve Jobs unveiled the first iMac. Jobs, who was born in San Francisco in 1955, was adopted shortly after his birt...