Friday, September 3, 2021

Jimmy, The Provo and the Eye and Ear

I first met Jimmy Fitzsim0ns in the early 1990s when we were both living in Dublin’s north inner city. We became friends

Back then Jimmy was a strong supporter of the Provisional IRA. More accurately said, he was forever talking about them.

On one occasion I asked his mother, who had a stall on Moore Street, if Jimmy was in the IRA. 

She replied: “Jasus, the Eye and Ear wouldn’t take him.” We laughed.

Mrs Fitzsimons has since died. She was a lady.

On Wednesday I bumped into Jimmy on Dominick Street. We were chatting, our usual banter. He began to tell me what he was doing for the rest of the day and then said: “I have to get gear for the Provo.” I was confused and did not understand what he was saying so I asked him to explain.

Right behind him was a pug style dog. It was Jimmy’s

The dog's name, The Provo.

No comments:

Featured Post

The adopted genius who invented the iMac

On this day, May 6, 1998 Steve Jobs unveiled the first iMac. Jobs, who was born in San Francisco in 1955, was adopted shortly after his birt...