Saturday, August 11, 2018

Wise words from a Jesuit

A quote from Damian Howard, provincial of the British Jesuit province.

No life worth living is without its trials and I can’t pretend that my Jesuit journey has been an altogether smooth ride; I could only have avoided the discomfort of growing by not growing up! 
But there is something about making the journey with one’s fellow Jesuits and our many friends and co-workers, people who are honest, grounded in a relationship with God, generous and eager to serve others, interesting and, not infrequently fun, that makes me insanely grateful to God for choosing me in the way He has.

And today I find myself serving as provincial for all the Jesuits in Britain. This is definitely not something I envisaged happening when I joined! It’s a huge responsibility and it comes at a time when leadership in the Church and, indeed, the world, is in crisis. 
But I find more and more that if I just keep coming back to Christ every day, in the Mass and in my prayer, in some deep sense it doesn’t matter what job I have been assigned to. He is always there and with the prayers of so many good people I never feel alone.

No comments:

Featured Post

Re-turn scheme great idea but all machines must work

In the first 40 days of the Re-turn scheme  almost seven million containers were returned. But 193 million never made it to the machines. It...