Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Bionic Vet Noel Fitzpatrick rebuilds our pets

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column.


Michael Commane

Supervet also known as Bionic Vet, Professor Noel Fitzpatrick has written a new book for children. It’s called ‘Super Pets and Me’. To coincide with the publication of the book he was interviewed on the Brendan O’Connor show.


He began by explaining that he was sitting in his consulting room in Surrey with his two cats on his knee.

 

It was great radio and I suggest you listen to it. It’s on the  RTÉ Radio Player. The interview was aired on Saturday, September 16.


The County Laois vet has become well known in the UK through his popular Bionic Vet on BBC and his Supervet series on Channel 4.


Right through the interview he kept stressing how important it is for us to show empathy towards animals and how we need to give them the same care that we give to other family members.


It set me thinking about the relationship between animals and us humans.


That same day that I was listening to Noel’s interview I saw on a later news programme dogs being used to assist rescue workers searching for people in Derna after the horrific flooding catastrophe in the Libyan city.

 

Dogs are proving a great help in nursing homes and schools. Horse riding is beneficial for autistic children.


We underestimate animals at our peril but the family pet plays a very special role in our lives. I still remember my father saying that those who are kind to animals are also kind to humans. 


It has been scientifically proven that stroking an animal can reduce our stress levels. Petting the family dog or cat can reduce our blood pressure by 10 per cent.


My dog Tess died two years. It means I’m not out walking every day before 7am and she’s not there to greet me in the evenings when I come home from work.


Right now it’s not possible for me to have a dog but as soon as my situation changes I’ll adopt a dog. I’m slow to use the word ‘own’.

 

Tiger is an elderly cat who lives a few doors down from me but spends some of his time in the house of a friend of mine. It’s through Tiger I have learned something about the world of cats. 


He is super intelligent and as cute as a fox. Probably on a daily basis he calls over to my friend’s house. She feeds him and then he heads for his chair where he can spend hours sleeping. He has got to know me and allows me rub and play with him. These days any time I call to the house my first question to ask, is Tiger there. He makes me feel good and I actually enjoy his company.


He knows exactly the people with whom he can play and those he needs to avoid. It takes time to build up a relationship with an animal. 


We are all aware of the horror stories from animal shelters where pets have been rescued from appalling cruelty and neglect. I never understand how people can be cruel to animals, then again, how do we mange to treat each other so badly.


Noel Fitzpatrick encourages us all to have empathy for animals and each other. Wise words. 

No comments:

Featured Post

Trying to paint a vision for the future of the Irish Dominicans

The link below is to a talk given by Fr Stephen Cummins in the Dominican Priory church in Galway last week. It was part of a series of talks...