Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Sea swimming manages to keep my head above water

This week’s INM/Mediahuis Irish weekly regional newspapers’ column.

Michael Commane

I had three appointments in Tralee earlier in the month. I drove from Dublin to West Kerry after work on Thursday. It’s a long drive and my first time to forsake the train for the gluaisteán in a long time. But on this occasion for logistical reasons I took the car. 

I arrived in Castlegregory close to 8pm. Within 30 minutes I was swimming in the Atlantic. Of course I prefer to call it the Atlantic. To be more exact it is Tralee Bay, maybe even Brandon Bay. Telling people you swim in the Atlantic gives it an extra touch, it sounds more adventurous and exciting. I’ve just checked it on a map, yes it is the Atlantic Ocean, the North Atlantic at that.

I swam Thursday, Friday, Saturday and twice on Sunday. My house is a three-minute cycle from the beach. And that’s interesting as no one calls it the beach. It is commonly known as ‘the Strand’. Across the water is Fenit and then Kerry Head. My father swam in these waters when he was 92. It was here two years before the 1916 Rising that he learned to swim.

So, you can understand they are sacred waters for me. 
I can never remember a summer when it was so easy to swim here. For my skin the water has never been as warm. And on this occasion, in September waters, the sea has held the heat of the summer. 

My father was forever telling me that the best time to swim in Castlegregory is in September and October. 

He knew what he was talking about. On Sunday standing outside my door I got talking to a local woman. I was telling her I had been swimming earlier. I noticed a flash of recognition in her eyes before she told me that she too is an avid swimmer and swims every day. 

She explained how September and October are the healthiest months to go swimming. The minerals in the water at this time of year, she said are good for the body. And I remember my father telling us how the iodine in the seaweed was extra good for us especially in the months of September and October.

Before the lady with whom I was talking went her way she handed me a bag of freshly picked mushrooms. What a magic moment. Where else would that happen? No, they were not magic mushrooms but delicious fresh food, good for body and soul.

When it comes to swimming I was ‘a late bloomer’. I’m hearing that expression a lot of late. I was 18 or 19 before I could swim. I think I’ve made up for lost time in the intervening years.

On a personal note I can’t stress strongly enough the good that sea swimming does me. Honestly, it keeps me half-sane. Every time I get into the water I feel a heavy weight lift off me. And the aftereffects are no less significant. There is something about the sea that is powerfully soothing and relaxing. It is therapeutic.

If you have never swum in the sea you are missing one of nature’s great gifts. And there’s so much of it about on this island of ours. I was talking to a German friend last week and she told me she lives 400 kilometres from the sea. Go sea swimming, yes in September and October.

On returning to Dublin by car I was more convinced than ever the train is the way to go.

No comments:

Featured Post

UK to expel Russian defence attache as sanctions escalate

This is getting very serious and dangerous. At the same time the far right AfD in Germany is growing in power and status with the passing on...