Tuesday, January 18, 2022

New Bus Éireann buses are a bad buy

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column.

Michael Commane
I don’t know too much about the United States but I have often heard people say that public transport is not on a par with that in Europe.

I was pleasantly surprised to read in one of our national newspapers after Christmas that buses in the greater Washington DC area have a heavy duty folded rack attached to the front of the vehicle just in front of the driver, which is for carrying bicycles. It allows passengers to take their bicycles on the bus.

Might the National Transport Authority (NTA) take a leaf out of Washington’s book?

Because of work and other commitments I was unable to get to Kerry until the new year. The first days of January were fine and dry. I decided to set sail for West Kerry on Wednesday, January 5.

I’ve worked out an interesting way in getting there. I cycle the six kilometres from my home to Heuston Station, take the train to Tralee. A wait of an hour at Tralee for the Dingle bus to Camp and then cycle the last 10 kms to my destination. 

It’s something I have been doing now for a number of years. In good weather it is most enjoyable, great fun too. And even in the rain it is enjoyable. There is a sense of adventure to it, an opportunity to forget all worldly worries.

On this occasion my head went into a profound spin when I discovered the new buses that the NTA have purchased for Bus Éireann on many of their Kerry routes, including the Tralee Dingle route, do not have capacity to carry bicycles. 

It so happens on the day that I was travelling the 14.00 hours service, the bus that I was taking, was not one of the new buses, which meant that I was in luck.

I can’t believe what the NTA has done. It is preposterous and makes no sense. Many of the routes serviced by Bus Éireann out of Tralee are to some of the most scenic spots in Ireland, places where people want to cycle. 

When I asked staff at Tralee Bus Station if the new buses had capacity to carry fold-up bicycles I was given different answers. But it seems the general consensus is that if the fold-up bicycle folds up small enough and fits in the rack then you are ok.

But one driver said to me that drivers have been explicitly told not to carry fold-up bicycles as they are not covered by insurance.

Honestly, I can’t believe this. I have heard Transport Minister Eamon Ryan talk on television about the great success of the new bus services, where he especially made reference to the Tralee Dingle route. Yes, there is an improved frequency on the route but does the minister know that there is no place for bicycles on these buses?

Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not minister bashing. In fact I know Eamon Ryan and have great respect for the man. Indeed, he cycles to and from Dáil Éireann. In another life he ran the bicycle shop at the UCD Belfield campus and then later set up a tourist cycling company. 

Mr Ryan, these newly purchased NTA buses don’t fit the bill of a green environment. Who decided to buy these buses?

 

No comments:

Featured Post

UK to expel Russian defence attache as sanctions escalate

This is getting very serious and dangerous. At the same time the far right AfD in Germany is growing in power and status with the passing on...