Tuesday, January 25, 2022

It’s a great tonic to meet a wise and kind person

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column.

Michael Commane
The RTÉ 1 television programme ‘Donie O’Sullivan: Capitol Man’ received much acclaim. It was about the young Cahersiveen man who works for CNN.

I’m too old to fantasise about following in his footsteps, nevertheless watching the programme I kept saying to myself, wouldn’t I like his job.

He has a way about him that easily endears him to people, even those who might have extremely strong feelings against CNN and its political views. Donie has that ability in getting people to talk. But it was something else altogether that intrigued me about the programme. He openly spoke about the panic attacks he experienced while studying in Northern Ireland. I’d like to have heard more about that subject. What exactly is a panic attack and how far away is it from a form of depression?

These days it seems people find it far easier to talk about their own personal mental health than in the past and that surely has to be healthy and good.
 
I can’t imagine there is anyone who is completely free of dark moments, periods of depression, experiencing a sense of worthlessness. Some people are better at hiding it than others.
 
I’ll put my hands up and admit that I can easily get into a down or dark moment. I half-jokingly tell people my own personal superficiality is a great fixer in that I have that ability of jumping out of those dark moments.

In recent weeks I’ve found myself in such a place.

We all have our own ways and means of protecting ourselves, ‘getting a hold of ourselves’, fixing what’s wrong. Certainly therapists can and do offer great help to people.

But on occasion the smallest of experiences or happenings can do us the world of good.

In early December I promised someone I would call to her elderly mother. It happened that I never got around to doing it and I was annoyed with myself about saying I’d do something and then didn’t do it. 

After Christmas I made it my business to call on the lady. It turned out to be a magic moment. On entering her house the first thing she said to me was that she reads my newspaper column every week. Of course she meant it in the kindness and most gracious of ways. But no doubt she had no idea how she was massaging my ego. We all need a bit of that from time to time. 

On a far deeper level, within minutes of being in the woman’s company I realised I was talking to a very special person. Her wisdom, her kindness and her fun, filled the room. Unfortunately it was a short visit but nevertheless the woman inspired me. Driving back home on my motorbike all I could think of was her graciousness and kindness.
 
She asked me to stay till her son came home and he would make me a cup of tea. I declined. But I did tell her I’d be back and I shall.
 
She was delighted to see me, thanked me for calling. 

But if only she knew the effect she had on me. She made me forget about my worries and troubles, indeed, every time I think of our encounter I smile. I also quietly say, thank you.

 

No comments:

Featured Post

UK to expel Russian defence attache as sanctions escalate

This is getting very serious and dangerous. At the same time the far right AfD in Germany is growing in power and status with the passing on...