Tuesday, October 26, 2021

UCD and Fáilte Ireland ads on far-right US radio station

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers’ column.

Michael Commane

We’re a small country and I think it’s fair to say that our national and local radio stations offer us a reasonably good service. Of course there is always room for improvement.

The world of radio, like so much in our lives has changed beyond belief in my lifetime.

Today at the press of a button you can listen to radio stations from every corner of the globe. You can tune in on many devices, including an internet radio. 

With the internet radio you can preset stations, which means you can listen in at the press of a button. Some years ago I bought myself one and I’ve been travelling all around the world with it, without leaving my house.

By accident, scrolling through US stations I came across Patriot Radio. It broadcasts out of Phoenix, Arizona and has millions of listeners all across the United States.

To my ears it is unbelievable radio. Monday to Friday, at least any time I listen to it, it is non-stop attack against everything and everyone who is not at least as right wing as the Republican Party. 

All its presenters hurl extraordinary abuse at those who have different opinions than they. Currently President Joe Biden is the focus of their attack. 

According to the Patriot rulebook Biden and his entire team in the White House and all Democrat Senators and House members are staunch communists who want to overthrow the US way of life. In their attacking of the Democrats they use foul and abusive terms. 

Early weekday mornings, Irish time, presenter Mark Levin hurls the vilest of insults at Biden. He tells his listeners that the president is dumb, his brain has stopped functioning and he is simply the front man for dark people in the background, who are directing the US to the evil ways of communism. It’s as mad and crazy as that. 

And of course it is the darling voice of anti-maskers and gun-touting citizens. Only last week there was someone explaining the advantages of one type of gun silencer over another. The presenter of that particular programme was British-born Sebastian Gorka, who worked in the Trump White House for seven months.

The station is also a supporter of far-right Christian groups. Presenters constantly sneer and ridicule at anyone whom they deem has different opinions than they.

I have to admit the station intrigues me. Is there something about violence and raw hatred that attracts? And that sure is worrying.

But what I have heard in the last weeks has set my ears on fire. To my astonishment, Irish companies are now advertising on the station. Not only companies but also State agencies. 

To my horror I have heard ads for Fáilte Ireland and UCD. That tax payers money is being spent on ads on Patriot Radio is nothing less than scandalous.

Does the UCD president or the CEO of Fáilte Ireland know about this?

I doubt there are many right-thinking people who would be impressed.

Advertising with Patriot Radio sullies the names and reputations of good decent Irish State agencies.


No comments:

Featured Post

UK to expel Russian defence attache as sanctions escalate

This is getting very serious and dangerous. At the same time the far right AfD in Germany is growing in power and status with the passing on...