Tuesday, February 9, 2021

What is it that makes a powerful speech

This week's Independent News & Media Irish regional newspapers' column.

Michael Commane
Do words ever grab you? 

What about the people who turned up to listen to Donald Trump? 

He’d spend an hour simply haranguing, insulting and demeaning people. At least to me it all sounded vile and appealing to  our worst instincts. Millions are greatly impressed with him. The people who turned up at his rallies genuinely believe he is the man to lead the United States to greatness.

What makes for powerful and persuasive  oratory? Has it something to do with narcissism?Narcissism is a personality disorder, whereby people have an inflated sense of their own importance. They fall in love with their own reflection but somehow or other they are constantly craving approval. Their outward show is a fragile mask.

Hitler was a great orator. They thronged to hear him. He fooled millions of people and they rushed to their deaths for him. He was the quintessential narcissist.

Over the years I have heard many speakers. Two stand out. 

A Dominican Sister, who had spent her life teaching deaf children, wrote a book about her experience. The book was launched in the early 1990s and I went along to the launch.

Sir Anthony O’Reilly, aka Tony O’Reilly, who was a friend of the Dominican Sister, launched the book and spoke on the evening. 

He was over 30 minutes late arriving, which I found annoying, but once he began to speak, all was forgiven and I found myself totally captivated by him. It was an amazing speech. He was funny, smart, intelligent, bold but all the time brilliant and charming. And so reverential to the author, whom he knew. He had everyone in the palm of his hand. 

Thirty years on I have no idea what he said but I can still say that he completely bowled me over.

In 2018 I had the good fortune to attend Concern Worldwide’s 50th anniversary conference in Dublin Castle. Bill Clinton was the star speaker at the event. 

And just as with Tony O’Reilly, I was glued to every word he said. He was a class act. His pauses, his occasional jokes and then the content of what he was saying. Add to that, I got the impression he was actually talking to me.

Both O’Reilly and Clinton are star performers, at least they were for me. But why? Was it that I agreed with what they were saying but there is something far more to it than that.

What’s that special quality they have?

Might it be that most great orators are narcissists? At least with Trump it’s clear to see that he is, but is it possible that others, who are far more polished and refined are also steeped in narcissism?

And then how do we handle the demagogues, how do we protect ourselves against those who use words to manipulate and lead us to violent deeds?

How do we know whom to believe?

Maybe that’s why words fascinate me.

Mark Twain’s words are ringing in my ears: “I know all about audiences, they believe everything you say, except when you are telling the truth.”

No comments:

Featured Post

Keep me from the snares of those who do evil

In the midst of a world in turmoil, torn by hatred and greed, lines from Psalm 140 offer consolation:             To you, Lord God, my eyes ...