Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Rainbows right at our own feet

This week's Independent News & Media Irish regional newspapers' column.


Michael Commane

I noticed they were taking down the Christmas decorations in our hospital after the feast of the Epiphany, January 6. As the wise men only arrived on January 6, the crib is still in situ in the hospital oratory. The experts tell me it comes down on Candlemas Day or the feast of the Presentation of the Lord, February 2.


And what’s happened all the Christmas gifts, where are all the toys and presents that Santa brought? How much of the Christmas magic is still in our daily lives?


My mother died in 1988 and dad in 2004, and honestly, since the death of my father I’ll just quietly say that Christmas has never been the same.


So, was there a standout moment for me this Christmas? 


Indeed, there was a number. A man who had been a patient in the hospital in early 2019 sent me a Christmas Card, wishing me well and telling me, that all was good with him and family and that he was back at work. Most likely he will never know what he touched in my soul. 


The privilege to know that someone thought of me and wished me well at Christmas. And remember, it was almost two years since we met. I can imagine the kindness and goodness that he radiates in his job.


Sometime in November I spotted two young women locked out of their newly rented house after 6pm. The door had closed on them and the key was inside. They had no idea what to do. I was passing so I offered any help I could. I did not manage to open the door but I did call a locksmith, who arrived within minutes and solved the problem.


Come Christmas they arrived with a card and a small gift. Again, they had the grace and kindness to do that.


Some weeks before Christmas I had an unpleasant experience with a work colleague. It was as much my fault as his. But after Christmas I approached him and we mended fences. It was a lovely sense of relief. 

At least any embarrassment on meeting was now gone.


I keep saying that it’s the little things that make such a difference in our lives.


The current Covid pandemic provides us with an obvious example of how important such small acts as washing our hands, wearing a mask and keeping our distance are.


We are who we are, we are challenged every day to live with ourselves and the unique gifts we have been given. It’s up to each one of us to do the best we can. 


But it’s for us to catch the moment and see the wonder and greatness in the small, every day experiences we encounter.


No, it’s not at all that our lives are humdrum, anything but. There’s always the temptation to chase rainbows. It makes no sense because do you know what, they are right at our feet.


That does not mean that we ever tolerate any forms of injustice or wrongdoing. While we have to hang our heads in shame at the wrong that has been perpetrated in the past we have to be brave and fearless, always to speak truth to power.

No comments:

Featured Post

Dangerous and selfish driving on Bank Holiday roads

We are now into the May Bank Holiday weekend. There has been much publicity on the media asking people to be more careful on our roads. Is i...