Tuesday, May 12, 2020

‘Prosperity is a great teacher; adversity is a greater'

This week's Independent News & Media Irish regional newspapers' column.


Michael Commane
People say I have a short fuse. I don’t like to hear that. But obviously there must be some truth in it. I’m not impressed when people try to patronise me. There have been times when I know I have been sharp.

When people tell me that something or other can’t be done, I’m inclined to baulk and argue my case in strong terms. The day the Berlin Wall came down I clearly learned, that outside the laws of nature, anything is possible. So when someone tells me something is not possible I react.

Having said that, it is inspiring and heart-warming to observe people behaving in a gentle and cooperative manner.

Last week I was in a bank. Indeed, on one or two occasions in the past I have had ‘words’ with staff in that bank.

But on this visit everything was different. Being advised by staff to comply with social distancing I approached the counter and did my business. 

It had been my first time out in many weeks so I think I may have been a little nervous. Completing one form I initially wrote down the wrong numbers. The teller spotted it and kindly brought it to my attention. She was wearing a mask, which had a design on it and was fashionable. I commented to her about it, she smiled and we both had a laugh.

Finished my business, I thank her and she reciprocated. And then on leaving the bank I again thanked the person at the information desk, who gave me a great smile. While unlocking my bicycle I began to think about how friendly the entire experience was. I have thought about it many times over the last few days.

Why has it taken a worldwide pandemic for me, for many of us to realise how we all depend on one another? Only in the last few days a cousin pointed out to me how we all benefit from the talents, skills and goodness of other people.

Recently Pope Francis tweeted:  ‘During the current crisis, we need good, free journalism that serves all people, especially those who do not have a voice: journalism that is dedicated to the search for truth and which opens paths toward communion and peace.’ They are uplifting, positive words. 

And yet subsequently many people tweeted the nastiest of comments about it. What is it about people? We have the ability to reach to the heavens but we also have the wherewithal to descend to deepest pits of hell.

The thoughtfulness and kindness that I have experienced over the last number of weeks has been life-enhancing. My groceries are delivered on a weekly basis and all done with a smile. Every day we hear of heart-warming stories.  Last week I heard former RTE journalist Charlie Bird talking on radio about the camaraderie that has developed in his neighbourhood.

We have no idea what lies ahead of us. I’m nervous that this could lead to civil unrest and maybe war.

On the other hand maybe it will make us take stock, stand back a little and examine the way of the world pre-Covid-19.

Columnist Timothy Garton Ash argued in the English newspaper the ‘Guardian’ last week that a better world can emerge after Covid-19 or a much worse one.

Have we forgotten how fragile we are?

Wise words from 18/19th centre English writer and philosopher William Hazlitt: ‘Prosperity is a great teacher; adversity is a greater. Possession pampers the mind; privation trains and strengthens it.’

1 comment:

Andreas said...

I wanted to add 'Isaiah 8' to pope Francis tweet quoted above:
This is what the Lord says to me with his strong hand upon me, warning me not to follow the way of this people: “Do not call conspiracy everything this people calls a conspiracy; do not fear what they fear, and do not dread it..."

Featured Post

Re-turn scheme great idea but all machines must work

In the first 40 days of the Re-turn scheme  almost seven million containers were returned. But 193 million never made it to the machines. It...