Monday, March 16, 2020

A funny story at a Lidl check-out

Mick and Robo work for Dublin City Council. Over the last 10 years or so I have got to know both gentlemen from bringing my recyclables to a DCC Bring Bank facility.

They are kind men and very funny. They never miss an opportunity for a laugh or a joke. They have that great gift of Dublin wit.

They both know that I am a priest.

Often early on a Friday morning I bump into them in a Lidl shop. There's always the smart comment, the laugh, the joke. Always trying to get me on the back foot. They win most times.

Usually there are three, four people in the store at that time in the morning. Last Friday morning there were queues at the check-outs.

My two men were ahead of me. Robo had paid for his goods and Mick was in front of me and about to pay.

It seemed most shoppers had bought toilet paper. Mick makes one or two smart comments and then, out loud to me he says: "Ah Jays, if I'm going to be in isolation for a few weeks I better stock up with condoms." He says it with a good-humoured smile. He gets something of a laugh from the shoppers.

He thinks he has got me, snookered me. I immediately quip: 'Ay Jays, Mick, you wouldn't know what to do with them."

He's surprised, caught and for the first time since I know him he's speechless. I can see him with his feet stuck to the ground, speechless. Robo looks on laughing. I get a far bigger laugh from the shoppers than Mick.

In the midst of this horrible Covid - 19 crisis a good laugh at 08.15 in a Lidl store in South Dublin does us all good.

No comments:

Featured Post

The Tik Tok Taoiseach is a clever nickname

This week’s Mediahuis Irish regional newspapers. Michael Commane Let me stress how fortunate we are in Ireland, in the European Union, to ha...