Sunday, December 23, 2018

Edith Eger's 'The Choice

I've never  found it difficult to see that it isn't God who is killing us in gas chambers, in ditches, on cliff sides, on 186 white stairs.

God doesn't run the death camps. People do. But here is the horror again and I don't want to indulge it.

I picture God like being a dancing child. sprightly and innocent and curious.

I must be also if I am to be close to God now.

I want to keep alive the part of me that feels wonder, that wonders, until the very end.

An excerpt from The Choice by Edith Eger, published 2017.

The piece above describes her feelings while at Mauthausen concentration camp. She and her sister had been moved with many others from Auschwitz as the Red Army was approaching from the east.

A great book and highly recommended.

No comments:

Featured Post

Keep me from the snares of those who do evil

In the midst of a world in turmoil, torn by hatred and greed, lines from Psalm 140 offer consolation:             To you, Lord God, my eyes ...