Sunday, December 20, 2015

Last words at Concern

A few words said on my last day at Concern.There was a great turn-out for the occasion.
Thank you.

Donal McGowan is a friend of mine for over 60 years. He always tells me I do things well - 96 per cent of the time but blow it all in that last four per cent.
So, I’ll start this with that dangerous four per cent.
I was 65 in April 2014 and Concern offered me another year. When that year was up they offered me a new contract until the end of this year.
I thought that could keep going. And why not? Yes, I have been a little sulky about it.
Job gone. End of story and I’m on the scrap heap. It is a shocking feeling and I’d be some liar if I said anything else.
I’m told it’s the first time in its history that anyone stayed in full-time employment after 65with Concern.
See, my father worked in his job until he was 82. He swam in the Atlantic in West Kerry at 92.

One of the great assets in being superficial is that one gets over things quickly. I’m over it, have bounced back, and here I am, still in one piece.
Though it has struck me how Concern champions gender equality. Maybe they/weshould now be at the vanguard of age equality. An idea.
These have been 11 great years.
Gerry Reynolds employed meon the recommendation of David Begg. He called me for an interview in Dublin. I travelled from West Kerry. Gerry appeared at the door and asked could we change the meeting to next week. It was a good intro to Gerry. And well that I had free accommodation in Dublin.
I eventually landed.
And guess what I never did an induction.
It’s always the people who make places. I have lived in different places but Berlin was the best. And that was before the Wall came down. But it was the best because of the people I met.
And Concern has been the best – because of the people I have met here.
Some weeks ago I sat down and interviewed Rosaleen Martin. It is in this week’s Leinster Leader. I was dumbstruck with the woman. What she has done in her few short years. Her intelligence, her kindness. Everything about her. I mention her because she was my last victim, my last interviewee for the regional press.
And I can multiply Rosaleen by well over 100.
When people like Rosaleen, Ross O’Sullivan, Paula Donohoe, come to work in Concern and like the place it says something about the organisation.
I have spent my life as a low-grade version of Plato’s Gnat fly. Or was it Socrates?
I have spent my entire priestly life criticising the hierarchical institutional church. That’s I, that’s the nature of the beast and I am hardly going to change at this hour.
Maybe it is because I never joined the management class or got preferment. But you know what, I’m proud of that now. Don’t we all have to justify our existences? And I’m no different.
But these have been 11 great years. My visits to Zambia and Lebanon were life-changing experiences, never to be forgotten.
I have made great friends here. People I will never forget. I’d actually have to think for a while if I ever met a really nasty person here. No I don’t think I have.
What at all will I do, not coming into this office, looking around at all the different faces, the smiles, the laughs, I pretending to get angry.
It sounds it might be horrible.
No it will not.
How many people are fortunate to have the choices I have? With a Dominican priory nearly in every capital of the world. And guess what I’m still nervous.
Again, I want to thank everyone who put up with me.
For close to 11 years Eithne managed me and that alone deserves a commendation. She was never once unkind or unfriendly to me. Now and again when I would say daft things, yes she would make that ‘Eithne-esque’ look.
Paul joined after me. And he became my bossThank you Paul for your help and guidance.
It got back to Kevin Byrne that I was a bit sulky about leaving. And did he make sure to let me know.
Is there anyone in Concern as loyal and committed as Kevin? And here’s a sort-of-secret: on most occasions when I finished writing a profile on someone I would get Kevin to throw his eye over it. He was brilliant at it.
Indeed, when I could I would also ask him to read my Irish Times column and the weekly column I do for the INM regional newspapers and again his advice was invaluable.
To my colleagues on the floor - thank you so much. I hope I never was rude or insulting to anyone. I am going to miss you all so much.
I suppose everything about me was and is a bit dodgy. I flyclose to the wind. Got that from my mother’s side.
When I first came here I was employed as a consultant thats a funny one - I a consultant. And then just before the financial crisis Concern made me permanent. Just as well. Otherwise I’d have been out the door when the crisis hit.
I officiated at four weddings and was even flown to foreign parts for one nuptials.
I dont think anyone ever looks at it but may I suggest you check the Style Guide. Otherwise I’ll see a letter some day with practice incorrectly spelt or presently misused. And there’s no full point after Mr. Please don’t split your infinitives. A wise sub editor once told me to delete the word ‘very’ from my vocabulary. Good advice and advice I wish to pass on to you.
Proud of anything? Survival? I got to know so many people. But its the Synge Street project that really excites me. And I know Concern will take the ball and run with it. Italready has. That has such potential and we should have been there years ago.
Catriona Loughran will be doing my job. On Saturday I was for lunch with GerColleran in Tralee. He spoke so highly of her. And he meant every word he said. And there’s a line of continuity thereGer employed me in The Kerryman and he employed Catriona in The Star.
She is a great asset for Concern. She knows what newspapers are about and she’ll do the business. But she is also a great person.
I’m going to miss you all.
Thank you.

1 comment:

Póló said...

All the best in your next career, whatever it turns out to be.

Don't forget to keep up the blog.

Featured Post

The world sure is in a state of chassis

Conor Cruise O’Brien was prescient when he coined the acronym GUBU when he referring to a political scandal in Ireland during a Haughey gove...