Thursday, October 23, 2014

People of Zambia celebrate fifty years of independence

Tomorrow, October 24 Zambia will celebrate 50 years of independence.

Below is a talk given last evening by the writer of this blog at the  Dublin Chamber of Commerce to Concern supporters, individual and corporate donors.


Hello and you are welcome here this evening to the Dublin Chamber of Commerce. At the end of May beginning of June I was in Western Zambia. It has been a life-changing experience.

Concern is in Zambia since 2001 when we went there in response to a food crisis. This year we are spending €2.2 million in the country

In Mumbwa District we visited a village where Concern is working. Before we got up to leave we had a short question and answer session. I asked Monica Malundu what she would most like to have in life. “Water,” she said spontaneously.

Monica can do two round trips of six kilometres a day to get water for her family.

I got into the car and while driving on to Kaoma, passing people carrying water I was thinking of Monica’s answer to me.

But these days I’m watching the water we so much take for granted. How much water did you waste yesterday? How much food did we waste yesterday? How much food is thrown from fridge to bin?

Do you know that the world’s nearly one billion hungry people could be lifted out of malnutrition on less than a quarter of the food that is wasted in the US and EU.

I have no problem at all saying I have no answers to anything. But after my week in Zambia I keep thinking of the fortune of being born somewhere and the misfortune of being born somewhere else. Bono once said “Where you live should not determine whether you live.”

I stared into the eyes of beautiful children and wondered why. But every time I did that I also realised the amazing work that Concern is doing in Zambia.

Zambia is a large country. 753,000 Sq KM. Ireland is circa 84,000 Sq Km yet the population is only 13.5 million. Life expectancy is 49

English woman Danny Harvey runs the Concern operation from Lusaka.
Approximately 60 people work for us in Zambia.

We were sort of a VIP team, Frances O’Keeffe. Frances is right now in South Sudan. Evanna Barry, who has just retired after 20 years on Council. She worked in Bangladesh in the early 1970s, Dominic MacSorley and representing the hoi polloi, myself. People often think the hoi polloi are the upper class, no, the plebs.

The work ethic of the chairperson and CEO is really spectacular. I have a fair good energy level but in Zambia I often found myself running fast to keep up with Frances and Dominic. 

We drove from Lusaka to Mongu with an overnight stop in Kaoma. The road from Lusaka to Mongu is a straight line for 600 kms built by the Dutch in 2005.

I can still see this tall slim man near Mongu show us his small farm holding where he is using methods of farming, which he has learned from Concern advice. He may not call it ‘conservation farming’ but that’s exactly what it is. He is planting seeds with the minimum of soil disturbance by using simple tools. The soil is covered throughout the year, which means the soil is cool and moist and retains its natural structure. He explained too about crop rotation.
This project is funded by Accenture and Irish Aid in Zambia and Malawi. Accenture is one of the world’s biggest consulting companies. Right now Concern is in the second year of a three year partnership programme with Accenture. Accenture has given us $3.25 million for the three-year programme. And this is the second three-year-programme that has been funded by Accenture. Thank you Accenture.
We visited Concern programmes in Kaoma. It was here I met village elder James Nsuuma.

He welcomed us in his native language Sala, and Annie Nyiremda translated. Annie works for a Concern partner. She is married and has two children. Her husband works with the Zambian forestry and part of his job is to protect trees being felled for charcoal purposes. All along the road from Lusaka to Mongu I saw felled timber for charcoal use.

James is the headman for 25 families and he in turn reports to a chieftain. His job entails implementing government policy in the village. “I have to make sure that there are no rapes or instances of child abuse. That is the most recent instruction I have received from the Government in Lusaka,” he said.

Innovative and exciting are the two words I’d use about the Concern programme in this village.

It is centred around helping pregnant and lactating women and children up to two years of age. The focus is on the nutrition of the mother from conception until the child reaches its second birthday. It’s the 1000 Days concept.

On one occasion I caught Frances O’Keeffe asking the age of a child. She was told he was 10. He looked more like five. A clear example of stunting and of course but for Frances’ sharp eye I would never have spotted it.

It really is a brilliant programme to help in the fight against malnutrition and such a clever idea. It means the local people are cultivating all sorts of new crops with high nutritional value. At first many of the men were sceptical about the programme but now that they are seeing the results they are being won over.

Families are growing these seeds on small areas of land. I saw mbereshi, which is an iron enriched bean, soya beans and pumpkin seeds. I also saw orange fleshed sweet potatoes which have more vitamin A. Most of these are new to the area.

The programme, which is called RAIN - Realigning Agriculture to Improve Nutrition - a long handle but is saying exactly what’s on the tin, is funded by Irish AID and the Kerry Group and of course the Irish public

The next time you see a Kerry truck, fry their sausages, eat their butter or drink their milk remember they are giving Concern €1.25 million over four years for this programme. 

The villagers had a special programme prepared for us, which included dancing and a drama which explained how the initiative is improving life, and especially for women.

Accompanying us for the whole of our visit was Patrick McManus from the Irish Embassy. Patrick is head of development at the Embassy. He came to Mongu with us. It was his first time to see the Concern programmes supported by Irish Aid.

I sat in the back seat with Patrick for 600 kilometres from Mongu to Lusaka. I had never been so long in the back seat of a car. Actually I was dreading it but it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable journeys I have ever undertaken. 

Patrick worked for Concern in Belfast and Bangladesh and was country director in Haiti before moving to the Department of Foreign Affairs. In fact he set up the Haiti Concern operation in 1994. 

And at one stage Charlton our driver roared at me to get back into the car. Driving through Kafue National Park we stopped and I jumped out to take a few pictures. Suddenly I heard Charlton scream my name. I should not have been out of the car. A lion could be waiting for me.

Those of you who may have seen the Radharc programmes will have heard the name Joe Dunne. Joe, who was in Africa doing some filming wrote back to the Archbishop of Dublin John Charles McQuaid asking could he stay on longer to film lions and tigers. McQuaid wrote back giving him permission but adding that there are no tigers in Africa.

In Mongu we saw what the Concern Graduation programme is doing.

It targets people Concern believes can graduate out of poverty.

I spoke to Mushimbei Mwendabai. Concern gives her 30 Kwachas a month - €3. It allows her build up a little head of steam, buy and sell her produce and send her older child to school. The money is transferred through a local bank.

Liam Kavanagh from Coolock works in Mongu. He is 28, did Development Studies in UCC and is a gem of a person. I asked him what he plans to do in the future. His reply – “Can’t see myself doing anything else”.

What a committed young man. Local people call him affectionately Mukavesa, meaning white man.

Liam is working on the graduation programme and keeps a close eye on those who are taking part in it.

On our last day in Lusaka we were invited to the Irish Embassy and Ambassador Finbar O’Brien, no not from Cork, as you might think, with a name like that, but Athlone, received us with open arms and we were lucky to arrive the morning we did as they were having a special coffee morning for homeless children. We had to walk round the garden bare foot. It actually suited me because I was on my last pair of socks.

The ambassador filled us in on the current political situation in the country and it was most informative.

When I landed back in Dublin I made a promise that I would challenge anyone who would talk about Concern wasting money.

It was an incredible journey into the unknown.

I came home knowing so much more about what Concern is doing in far off Zambia.

I also came home a new man. Terribly proud to work here and to be Irish too.

It’s your support, effort, generosity that makes Concern happen. And your effort manifests itself in all forms and shapes, individual, corporate, school adjudicators, fund-raisers, trekkers, all of you.

Life changing.

No comments:

Featured Post

A personal request

I would be grateful if Sean, who made a comment on this blog about the late Paddy Cullen, contact me. Is it possible to have your email addr...