Friday, October 18, 2013

Tolls, parking meters, bus tickets and lotto cards

Last evening BBC's Newsnight carried an interview with US author Donna Tartt.

I have read none of her books but she came across as brilliant and funny.

One of the things she said that was interesting was that she always carries a notebook with her so as to write down her experiences.

How right she is. Think of all the funny and amazing things we see every day.

How much would it have to be for you to bend down to pick it up? What would you get off your bicycle to pick up?

A good friend of mine, who knows I get off the bicycle to pick up a cent has introduced me to a great new game. Indeed, I have branched out to new pastures.

He drives through the toll on a weekly basis, going through the coins only barrier and checks out if there are any coins in the return slot. We are in competition now as to how much we find.

I had a great day today: picked up a 10cent coin, a bus ticket worth 65cent. And listen to this: found an all-cash lotto ticket with a €5 prize on it.

Car parking meters can make good revenue too. Last week on Fitzwilliam Square I pocketed €3 in one machine.

Tartt's idea of a notebook is good but I think I'll supplement it with a ledger.

2 comments:

Póló said...

I hope you gave it all to St. Anthony.

Did you used to press the B button on the old public phones, or was that before your time?

:)

Michael Commane said...

Indeed. Well remember those Button Bs.
What at all happens all that money in the St Anthony boxes?
Today was a bonanza day as the new Lidl vacuum cleaner unit was delivered. And great suction too from it. No flames.

Featured Post

A personal request

I would be grateful if Sean, who made a comment on this blog about the late Paddy Cullen, contact me. Is it possible to have your email addr...