Monday, October 21, 2013

Lucinda Creighton turns up late but does apologise

The column, which appears in this week's International News and Media Irish regional newspapers.


Michael Commane
Over the last few weeks I have been at two book launches. The first was Fr Tony Flannery’s book, ‘A question of Conscience’.

Most times I have been at a book launch I have gone on my own, which means I’m hanging about not knowing quite what to do or with whom to say hello. Many is the time I have felt a right eejit at a book launch.

Tony Flannery’s book launch attracted a large crowd. Why was I surprised not to spot a single bishop or provincial at the event? Nor did I see the papal nuncio.

Bill O’Herlihy launched the book and it was abundantly clear that he had read it. He also spoke about his own Christian faith, which I found impressive.

Last Wednesday I went to another book launch. This time it was in the Jesuit Centre in Dublin’s Milltown Park. ‘Broken Faith’ is edited by Patrick Claffey, Joe Egan and Marie Keenan. I went along because I know Joe Egan. He is a cousin of mine and I think I can say a trusted friend. He also gives me plenty of good advice. Sad thing is I don’t always heed him.

Again, at this launch I arrived into the room on my own, knowing no-one. Inside the door the book was on sale. Bookshop price is €60, on the night they were selling it for €35, which I still thought was quite expensive. But such scholarly books are always this sort of price. I explained I intended doing a review of the book for a column I write. I eventually got it for €20. I was really chuffed when someone recognised my name from a column I write. Gosh, I felt I had made it, up there with the glitterati. Silly I.

From what I can recall, the book launch was due to begin at 6.30pm. When I arrived I was told it was 6.30 for 7 but nothing happened until 7.30. Deputy Lucinda Creighton was launching the book and did not manage to arrive until 7.30 pm. That annoyed me. However, she did apologise for her lateness. Why are there different rules for different people? But it’s the way of the world and there is nothing I can do about it.

I remember years ago going to a book launch where AJF O’Reilly was speaking. He too arrived far too late and I found myself getting really annoyed. But the man was not speaking 60 seconds when he had won me over. Either he was brilliant or I’m just a silly superficial sycophant.

Again with Lucinda, she may not be of the same calibre at public speaking as Sir Anthony. Who is? But it was clear she had spent considerable time and effort reading and studying the book.

The book is a compilation of essays written by 14 international scholars. It came about as a result of a three day conference in 2011 on clerical child sex abuse. The flyer for the book explains: “It is a theological reflection on the broken state of faith within the Catholic Church in Ireland following more than two decades of revelations about institutional and child sexual abuse and the church’s now acknowledged failure to respond to the abuse in an appropriate way”.

Lucinda Creighton stressed that the book is hugely thought provoking and certainly is an important read for people involved in policy making in this country. She also said it showed up great similarities about the flaws that church and State seem to share.

The first contributor, Patrick Claffey begins his article with a quote from James Baldwin.

“For, while the tale of how we suffer, and how we are delighted, and how we may triumph is never new, it always must be heard. There isn’t any other tale to tell, it’s the only light we’ve got in all this darkness.”

It sets the tone for the book.


1 comment:

Póló said...

When I was a youngster in Butlins, Hopalong Cassidy didn't turn up at all, leaving a big crowd of disappointed children.

And you should see how Ministers treat the Seanad. Ask any Senator.

I'm inclined to turn up early myself and it's great. You get to make contacts in the smaller crowd and then later in the evening you can crash all sorts of group conversations.

You should try that at the book launches.

Featured Post

The snoozing president now called Don Snoreleone

Anthony Fauci, the US head doctor who gained international status during the Covid pandemic, was in Dublin to receive the prestigious Stearn...