Saturday, January 19, 2013

What the Soldaten did

"On the second day of the Polish war," recalled a Luftwaffe pilot named Pohl in conversation with a fellow prisoner of war, "I had to drop bombs on a station at Posen (now Poznan). Eight of the 16 bombs fell on the town, among the houses. I did not like that. On the third day I did not care a hoot and on the fourth day I was enjoying it. It was our before-breakfast amusement to chase single soldiers over the fields with (machine-gun) fire and to leave them lying there with a few bullets in their backs."

From 'Soldaten' by Sönke Neitzel and Harald Welzer.

No comments:

Featured Post

A personal request

I would be grateful if Sean, who made a comment on this blog about the late Paddy Cullen, contact me. Is it possible to have your email addr...