Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Trials and tribulations at an ATM


The column below appears in this week's INM Irish regional newspapers.

By Michael Commane
Early in December there was a news report in the national newspapers about a new scam at Automatic Teller Machines.

A genuine customer would go to the ATM, place their card in the machine, request a sum of money, nothing happens and then out pops your card. As soon as the customer moves away from the machine the trickster comes to the machine and manages to remove the sum of money that the genuine customer had requested. The trickster had earlier placed some sort of device in the machine which prohibits money leaving the ATM.

The newspaper report, quoting the Garda, warned customers to remain at the machine and telephone their bank while still standing at the ATM.

That advice seemed clear and sensible

On Thursday, December 20 at 14.26 I went along to an ATM in Camden Street in Dublin. The machine was outside the bank and it was the branch’s machine. It is the bank where I have my account.

I was in somewhat of a rush and needed cash in my pocket. I took the usual precaution, covering the pad as I punched in my numbers. I requested €40. No money is spitted out but my card is returned to me. I immediately recall what I read in the newspaper and called the number, which is printed on the reverse side of my bank card.

I was nervous and certainly felt in a vulnerable position. The last thing I was going to do was move away from the machine. I asked the person with whom I was speaking if she would contact someone inside the branch and ask them if they would come out to assist me. My suggestions was dismissed and dismissed in the most patronising way possible. I explained to customer services on the telephone that I had read a report in the national press, which warned people not to leave the machine. Again I was dismissed. I spent over six minutes on the telephone, which cost me €1.72. I had no choice but to go into the bank and explain the situation, all the time worried that I was victim of a scam. A friendly and helpful member of staff explained to me that the machine was new and was causing teething problems. I did tell them about the story I had read in the newspaper and suggested that they should have some sort of notice on the machine screen explaining the situation. But not a word on the screen.

I was angry not because the machine had failed but because of the patronising and dismissive way I was treated by on the telephone by the bank.

Later that day I reported the incident to the bank. I was told I'd be contacted within five working days. It is now Friday, January 4 and so far I have received no call.

The bank is currently running a catchy advert on television. The ad alludes to the recent banking failures but assures viewers that it is rebuilding and making sure to take care of all their customers. It uses the words "commitment" and "guidance". And then it finishes with the words, "for small steps, for big steps, for life" on the screen while a voiceover speaks the words.

Well, let me assure you the last thing the bank did for me that day was offer me guidance or commitment.

It's the gap between that advert and the experience I had some days earlier that I find so annoying. And it is a phenomenon that exists right across our society at every level - the words of spoof and appearance and then the reality, which is something altogether different.

I have been a customer of the bank for many years. I have never been in dispute with them and generally they have treated me well. But I am finding more and more when contacting customer services of any of the facilities we use, it can be tedious and frustrating, indeed nightmarish.

And right now I'd expect the banks, above all, to be that little bit chastened and maybe even humble in their dealings with their customers.

Note. Yesterday, Monday, January 7 I received a letter from the bank informing me that they were looking into the matter. This piece had been sent to the newspaper long before I received the letter from the bank.

1 comment:

Póló said...

There is no such thing as a chastened or humbled bank. They govern by divine right, take your money and spit in your face.

And they are very practiced at it. And they get away with it, and there lies the crux.

No accountability. Panic the Government into bailing them out and then spit in the taxpayer's face.

They did it with ICI long ago and we learned nothing.

And then they did it again, and now we're all banjaxed.

QED.

Featured Post

The world sure is in a state of chassis

Conor Cruise O’Brien was prescient when he coined the acronym GUBU when he referring to a political scandal in Ireland during a Haughey gove...