Thursday, December 6, 2012

John Bruton launches book

Former taoiseach John Bruton launched John Maher's book, Catholicism and Me at the Dominican Priory in Tallaght last evening.

Mr Bruton spoke about being a Catholic and how important it is for us to be public about our faith. He said he could not imagine that could not be a God.

He also referred to the current abortion discussion that is taking place in Ireland.

The book is a compilation and Mr Bruton referred to many of the contributors in hsi address.

2 comments:

Thomas G McCarthy said...

Michael,
I am glad to see you mention the new book from Columba Press, Catholicism and Me. May I point out that it is not true to say it is John Maher's book. Its joint editors are John Littleton and Eamon Maher.
TMcC

Michael Commane said...

Is it Ireland is a small place or that people regularly experience coincidences?

In the last few weeks I have experienced startling coincidences.

Two weeks ago in conversation with someone, a person's name was mentioned. Someone I have not seen in 10 or 20 years. Two days later, cycling back to work, I met that person in Camden Street.

The day after the launch of Eamon Maher/John Littleton's book a former school friend of by brother called to visit me. Eamon Maher's name was mentioned and my visitor, who was a Cistercian, remarked that he had taught Eamon Maher in Roscrea.

To boot, it so happens, my father was at school in Roscrea Abbey in the mid to late 1920s.

And so many more coincidences in the last four weeks.

I'm told the abbot of Glenstal Abbey, Mark Hederman, places a special significance on coincidences.

Featured Post

The Thinking Anew column in The Irish Times today. Michael Commane Pope Francis will be 88 in December. He was elected pope on March 13, 20...