Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The end of 'The Dandy'

The Dandy had two million readers in the 1950s
The children's magazine 'The Dandy' may be about to disappear off the shelves and its new publishing platform will most likely be the web.

In the 1950s/1960s I was one of the two million children who read it.

I bought it every week in a little shop at Dublin's Kelly's Corner. Korky the Cat was great fun, Desperate Dan too. Did Tin Lizzy feature in it? But my favourite was Black Bob. It was the story of a Scottish farmer, Andrew Glen from Selkirk and his faithful collie, Black Bob.

It must have been on just one occasion I bought the magazine in a shop in Terenure. I can still see the shop exactly as it was back then, 50 years ago.

Amazing really, the impression that Andrew Selkirk and Black Bob could create.

I forget the name of a person I met ten minutes ago.

3 comments:

Francis Hunt said...

I always thought the Beano was better! :-) Sad to see the Dandy go all the same.

Michael Commane said...

Ah, the memories you recall. In my class it was the cool children who bought The Beano.

I was always a little embarrassed to be seen with The Dandy - the story of my life.

Anonymous said...

I read them both in the 80's but liked Viz and Oink better when I got older. Fnar.

Featured Post

Another church notice that spells alienation and clericalism

This notice hangs on the sacristy door of a church in south Dublin in the Archdiocese of Dublin. It has a similar tone to the notice about k...