Thursday, September 15, 2011

Hidden money at Freidrichstrasse and direct to Krakow on a used CIE rail voucher with Deutsche Reichsbahn

There is a report in today's Irish Times of Angela Merkel opening an exhibition at the former customs clearing building at Freidrichstrasse.

Friedrichstrasse was the main crossing point from West to East Berlin.

The exhibition has on show memorabilia of the former GDR period.

On St Patrick's Day 1985 I crossed into the GDR at Freidrichstrasse en route to Krakow in Poland.

Tucked away in a pocket in a shirt in my bag I had East German currency, which I had bought on the black market in West Berlin. I had bought the money at 1:11, whereas the 'official rate' was 1:4. And the daily 30DM compulsory change rate was computed at 1:1.

To my great surprise the border guard asked me to open my bag and began to search through my clothing. I was scared to death and thinking fast. Had an idea; quickly mentioned that it was Ireland's national day and began talking nonsense about Ireland's freedom fight. The guard became distracted and suddenly closed my case.

God bless St Patrick.

Later that morning a group of us took the S-Bahn to Ost Bahnhof, which was then the premier rail station of the German Democratic Republic, and boarded a train for Poland.

Close to Frankfurt an der Oder, the GDR Polish border, the train checker asked for my ticket. I had an old used CIE voucher, om which I had erased the Irish destination and written over it, Berlin, Haupstadt der DDR nach Krakau.

At first the checker was mystified. I remonstrated to him that I spoke neither Polish nor German, only Irish.

He called the train chief, who looked most officiously at the ticked. After a few moments, looking and sounding important, he nodded his head and all was well.

Another great lesson on the stupidity of 'important people'.

Berlin to Krakow worked out at something like 15 cent.

A most enjoyable rail journey. And so sweet.

No comments:

Featured Post

The Thinking Anew column in The Irish Times today. Michael Commane Pope Francis will be 88 in December. He was elected pope on March 13, 20...